Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how to increase my vertical leap or paging CoolColJ

Cobin

Ok, I had alot of help last time when I asked about increasing my 40 speed for football and I am gonna start doing those exercises now, but I was wondering what are some good lifts (olympic lifts most likely) for building vertical jump?

Thanks to anyone that helps me, as I am clueless to the olympic side of lifting. But I know the lifts are tough and take awhile to learn, so I will not start doing them heavy for a few months till I get form perfect.

Run a search, there is an entire thread (multiple pages) about increasing the vert.

Also, go to the Professional and Collegiate Sports board and there is a thread there about football, as well as about vertical jump training.

If you increase your vertical jump you will run faster and vice versa there is a lot of crossover.

Just doing Oly lifts will not make you jump higher.

1)You need high strength to weight ratio in the relevant muscle groups - squats, deadlifts, overhead press etc
The posterior chain is the biggest factor here.

2) High rate of force development - squat jumps, oly lifts, pulls explosive squats, sprints

3) Optimised stretch reflex - depth jumps, plyos, jump squats, sprints

4) high levels of eccentric strength - depth jumps, squat jumps.

IMPORTANT - you can have all the strength, power and explosiveness, but if you can't jump properly your vert will always be crapy. Practice the vert a lot! That ought to make it go up in itself - do sets of vertical jumps at least once a week.

That would also be the order I would work them. Depth jumps would not be touched until you have very strong strength levels, at least 1.5 time BW fullsquat - and then after a period of sprints and lesser plyos. They are very effective though, but can also cause patella and knee damage if not approached properly.

Rate of force developement - means using oly style lifts, squats in the 40-60% range moved explosively

Squat jumps are usually done with 15-30% of your full squat max, less is more though.

This ain't no 3-4 month job, it takes years as you can imagine to reach you potential. Just getting the necessary leg strength takes quite a while anyway

I suggest you take a look at my vert thread for more indepth articles. There is no sure thing, the concepts are well known, but not eveyone responds the same way. Quality before quantity is very important as the CNS is a very big factor.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137641

Also T-Mag will have a very indepth and good vertical jump article out. Not sure when but it will pretty much cover it all and will have a program of sorts.

Thanks for the info ColJ, how high are most football players vert? I understand it takes years to get your vetical jump up there, but I am ready to train for it. I want to worry more about speed and explosion though, as I will probably need those more. Thanks again.

well at least 30 inches.

The heavier 275-300lbs+ players normally jump around the 30-34 - the more explosive ones.

The lighter speedier guys from 34-44 inches. anything above 40 is pretty rare though. Football players have much better verts than most BBall players I can tell you. Triple jumpers and some other track and field players are some of the best. Throwers are way up there as well considering their bodyweights - these guys can get over 10-11 feet on the standing long jump!
They all squat, clean, plyo and sprint a lot.

any athlete wants to be above 30inches though.

well when your weak getting stronger will help straight away with speed, explosion and vert. Once you get to certain level of strength around 1.5 to 2 times bodyweight squat for example, then you need to focus more on rate of force developement and plyos.

ccj, im going to start trying oly style squats. would i have to be able to squat 2x my bodyweight in that style before i can hit plyos?

thriller said:
ccj, im going to start trying oly style squats. would i have to be able to squat 2x my bodyweight in that style before i can hit plyos?

No one on my old vball team was able to squat double there weight and everyone gained a couple inches on their jumps from plyos.

I don't consider depth jumps your usual old plyos like jumps or bounds on the ground, I term depth jumps shock training because that's what it is, it require a good strength foundation.

It is very stressful.

Anyway it's your choice, I'm just putting forward guidelines outlined by the guy who created depth jumps, 1.5 to 2 times bodyweight squat before depth jumping.

vertical jumps on the spot are a differnet thing, but if you already play lots of BBall, you won't gain much

Top Bottom