Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how to improve HAND GRIP strength (holding a barbell)

thatbloke

thread says it all

so basicaly this has wats happened

on this current cycle ive been focusing in strength training, just finsihed the cycle and returning to cruising

recent lifts this week

trap bar deadlift (with straps) 792X1
bench press 455X1

now reasons ive been hitting the trap bar is becoz the bar grips thinner and allows me to lift alot more weight and ive progressed increadibly this cycle

now i want to try convert the strength over to a barbell (i wanna give powerlifting a shot) but my problem is my weak and grip

atm i can pull on a barbell 660X1 no straps, 710 with straps, anything heavier and the bar slips form my hand once i get it off the ground and bang i snap my straps

so im looking for techniques, exercises or even thing si can buy in order to improve my barbell grip

focus is barbell grip, i just want to solely improve this area of hand grip

all input would be appreciated, and even experience with things that have worked

You ever try farmers holds?? I started doing these because a few ppl at my gym do strongman comps and they told me about these. It has helped me with my deeds. It's got two handles. A little more than normal size and a thick side. I do both. That and gripping an end of a standard bar, where u insert the weight and just hold for time.. ...

I never use thumbs which has seemed to help over the years. I also do forearm work once a week which helps. But my numbers are nowhere near yours.

my numbers are also far inferior to yours ^^^^

but heavy static holds and farmers walks are notorious for helping people's grip strength.

thread says it all

so basicaly this has wats happened

on this current cycle ive been focusing in strength training, just finsihed the cycle and returning to cruising

recent lifts this week

trap bar deadlift (with straps) 792X1
bench press 455X1

now reasons ive been hitting the trap bar is becoz the bar grips thinner and allows me to lift alot more weight and ive progressed increadibly this cycle

now i want to try convert the strength over to a barbell (i wanna give powerlifting a shot) but my problem is my weak and grip

atm i can pull on a barbell 660X1 no straps, 710 with straps, anything heavier and the bar slips form my hand once i get it off the ground and bang i snap my straps

so im looking for techniques, exercises or even thing si can buy in order to improve my barbell grip

focus is barbell grip, i just want to solely improve this area of hand grip

all input would be appreciated, and even experience with things that have worked

Go buy you some captains of crush grippers. I suggest you start with a 1. Captains of Crush hand grippers and training tools for building hand strength 140lb... you get to the point you can close the #1 with each hand 5-10x in a row, and that barbell isn't leaving your hand... plus working towards a 4 (365lb) is another fun goal.

basic static grip holds with a barbell or a thick bar (and double overhand grip) are probably the most simple

grippers are good but static grip and crushing grip are different and some people dont get much carryover. Its also boring as fuck sitting in the gym and squeezing a gripper lol

I know you use straps for various rowing exercises for back too, maybe you would consider dropping the straps

some people use pinch grip holds to improve grip too

If your numbers are legit and you really squat in the 600s, bench in the mid 400s and deadlift in the 700s (at around 230lbs bodyweight right?) you should do pretty well in powerlifting. I would love to see some vids of your squat, bench and deads...

grip stength from grippers = good for crushing strength...it's a whole different kind of gripping strength...does not directly translate into holding the bar longer, etc...just my 2 cents

Top Bottom