Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How to improve grip strength?

mvmaxx

High End Bro
Platinum
Here's my dilema. My grip strength sucks. I can get maybe 8 reps on DL's with 225 before I feel like I'm holding it with the ends of my fingers. So I have to use straps for anything heavier. Now I know, I know the first suggestion is to NOT USE STRAPS. But if I stop using straps then I can't train DL's heavy and I'm training heavy right now and trying to hit 450. Can get 405 3x.

So what to do? and how often?

fwiw, heavy wrist curls have helped me - I do them standing with a bar, holding it behind me, arms straight, and try to let the bar go as far as possible towards the tips of my fingers, then curl it up. I do these once or twice a week, as heavy as I can bear, to failure for a couple of sets. I also do a couple of sets of reverse curls for balance.

also, you might try picking up a set of super heavy dumbells and holding them as long as possible (I get strange looks from the toners in the gym, but they really work for me).

good luck.

I've found one-arm bar hangs and one-hand deadlifts with a barbell to be quite effective for grip strength development.

Dam all these exercises sound like they would work great. How about one of these alternated every week. Grip is a problem i have too. I do wrist curls the same as Prometheus except i do them to the front. And heavy rack pulls. So we'll see if they help. So far i have noticed alittle strength pullin in the rack i can pull more in there without losing my grip then i could last yr.

Grip strength has always been my weakness as well.I found that by developing several differant approaches,I have increased my overall grip strength immensely.For Squeezing grip strength,I alternate between my "captain of crunch" grip trainer(available on the Ironmind website),and the Gripper trainer at my gym.For more of a pinching grip,I find that holding two 10 pound-25 pound plates between my fingers does well.I also vary between free hanging from the chin bar,and loading a 2 inch bar as heavy as I can muster,and hold that as long as I can.I credit this extra work with adding a good 100 pounds to my deadlift.

:rolleyes: Doing a lot of bicep work really blows up the forearms also. Has anyone tried the Super Gripper from monstermuscle? It looks good, and I am thinking of buying it, any thoughts?

Top Bottom