Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How important is a strong grip in weight training?

Jim Ouini

I've been guilty of neglecting my grip by using straps for just about every 'pull' exercise out there - pullups, rows, RDL's, deads etc. The basic thought process being that I didn't want my grip to fail before my back (understanding that my forearm development would suffer, but that's another story)

Obviously in real life, strong man, powerlifting and so forth you need a strong grip.

So lately I've been eschewing the straps to work on my grip - already I've noticed I'm able to hold onto heavier weights for longer than even a couple weeks ago.

What I'm wondering though is if there's any CNS type 'priming' (don't know the exact term) one gets from gripping the bar, similar to what I read about lifting without gloves i.e., does the use of straps possibly send the wrong signal to the CNS?

Or is it pretty irrelevant when looking at the big picture?

grip is very important. a weak grip can lead to other problems, elbow pain from the imbalance is one of them.

I was like you jim, until I started having wrist problems and got dawnright sick of strapping up for every set. I got my grip in check by doing all of my sets but the absolute necesseties without the straps. Things like my max dead is 550, but I would work up to as much as 440 without the strps. Chinups really hepled too, as did a 250lb gripper that I keep on my desk and close every now and then (nobody I know who doesnt work out can close it!)

HumanTarget said:
grip is very important. a weak grip can lead to other problems, elbow pain from the imbalance is one of them.

Interesting, since my main back exercise for a long time was just pullups, but always with straps. My left elbow's been giving me pain for awhile, especially with weighted pullups. I'll have to go naked on these and see how the 'bow feels.

I was like you jim, until I started having wrist problems and got dawnright sick of strapping up for every set. I got my grip in check by doing all of my sets but the absolute necesseties without the straps. Things like my max dead is 550, but I would work up to as much as 440 without the strps. Chinups really hepled too, as did a 250lb gripper that I keep on my desk and close every now and then (nobody I know who doesnt work out can close it!)

That's what I'm doing now...I wait til my hand is almost numb before I strap up.

And I hate those grippers :mad:

I am not a BB'r but a competitve strongman. Obvously, grip strength is VERY importan for me.

Grippers do little to help "holding" strength. Static holds do. DB holds are excellent. DB's "roll" unlike farmers or trap bar holds. Grab a pair of DB's. Try to hold them for a minute. Once you get a minute, go up 10lbs.

You can do these at the end of a workout once a week. 1 or 2 sets.

Sounds like something I could do. Thanks.

I've been doing deads of a 4" lift and just that little bit longer holding the bar is helping my grip, I feel.

One more thing, with me having such a weak grip currently, when I watch World's Strongest Man on ESPN2 the most impressive/cringeworthy event for me is that Farmer's Walk, or whatever they call it when they walk down the street carrying like 150kg in each hand. Man.

Try just hanging on a bar for as long as possible. When it becomes easy, try hanging by one hand...

I find holding the bar real tight seems to help my groove, tightness and strength/power in every lift

so having a strong sustainable grip can't hurt :)

Train your grip in ALL ways. I've found that quite often...cross training the grip will help a little on everything but to have a strong grip in one way you need to train it in THAT way.

Grip has never been an issue with me.

B True

I've been fairly lucky with grip but I have worked it this year. I've mostly seen it as the weight I can deadlift with a normal double-overhand grip has risen before I'm feeling the urge to switch to a mixed grip. At the moment, my grip is stronger than my deadlift.

I've found that DB side-bends can get my forearms aching as well as Power Shrugs. Try holding onto plates: one at each side for a minute, rest for a short while and repeat. Those grippers help with closing strength but I'm not convinced they do a great deal for holding strength. When it comes down to it, the best exercise for holding onto things is to hold onto things.

IronMind has a whole section devoted to grip tools. Worth a read for inspiration until you're ready to part with your sheckels.

Top Bottom