Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how important is stretching to your regimen?

I used to never stretch before lifting. I have seen to many shoulders hurt not to. I get a little blood in the muscle then stretch it.

I stretch after lifting and cardio, i read that stretching before lifting can reduce strength levels. I thought that doing a warmup with the bar and maybe 5 mins on treadmill or bike ect to get the body temp up was enough. And then stretch when the workout has finished.

I don't stretch beforehand because of that same concept of reducing strength levels and (from what i've read on T-nation) you are actually more likely to injure yourself if stretching before working out. (static and/or dynamic?) correct me if i'm wrong about that. My body stretches itself as I do my workout, and the only time I would stretch if I ever felt the need to, is before bed.

i've just heard recently that stretching beforehand is counter productive. is this an actual fact?

when is stretching more beneficial?

Stretching after training has been crucial for me --- I've got a rotated pelvis which I've gotten addressed thru 3 months of rehab w/ my chiro last year -- but it leaves me w/ a ridiculously tight psoas / hamstring on my left side. Yoga has been a big part of my training this year as well. I do a mininum of 5 min cardio warm-up before I lift and if i do anything upper body, I do a couple giant sets of rotator cuff warm-ups. If I don't' warm that up, I've had whole sides of my upper body get all messed up trying to compensate for the pain and that just doesn't fix anything.

Stretching is basically just a great way to "come back down" from training. You are still warmed up but instead of just stopping cold. you take the time to let everything relax some and stretch the muscles out.

Here's from a great stretching source by Brad Appleton (http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_5.html):

When done properly, stretching can do more than just increase flexibility. According to M. Alter, benefits of stretching include:

enhanced physical fitness
enhanced ability to learn and perform skilled movements
increased mental and physical relaxation
enhanced development of body awareness
reduced risk of injury to joints, muscles, and tendons
reduced muscular soreness
reduced muscular tension
increased suppleness due to stimulation of the production of chemicals which lubricate connective tissues (see section Connective Tissue)
reduced severity of painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea) in females

Sassy69 said:
Stretching after training has been crucial for me --- I've got a rotated pelvis which I've gotten addressed thru 3 months of rehab w/ my chiro last year -- but it leaves me w/ a ridiculously tight psoas / hamstring on my left side. Yoga has been a big part of my training this year as well. I do a mininum of 5 min cardio warm-up before I lift and if i do anything upper body, I do a couple giant sets of rotator cuff warm-ups. If I don't' warm that up, I've had whole sides of my upper body get all messed up trying to compensate for the pain and that just doesn't fix anything.

Stretching is basically just a great way to "come back down" from training. You are still warmed up but instead of just stopping cold. you take the time to let everything relax some and stretch the muscles out.

Here's from a great stretching source by Brad Appleton (http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_5.html):

When done properly, stretching can do more than just increase flexibility. According to M. Alter, benefits of stretching include:

enhanced physical fitness
enhanced ability to learn and perform skilled movements
increased mental and physical relaxation
enhanced development of body awareness
reduced risk of injury to joints, muscles, and tendons
reduced muscular soreness
reduced muscular tension
increased suppleness due to stimulation of the production of chemicals which lubricate connective tissues (see section Connective Tissue)
reduced severity of painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea) in females

You rock Sassy, You must spread more K before giving it to sassy! This is the information I have been looking for. You a walking encyclopidia (spelling (*&() are you a dictionary as well, hee hee.

No seriously, I LOVE YOU! ps....book, book book :)

After hurting myself a few times it went from "optional" to "mandatory" for my lower half. I especially stretch before and during squat/row/deadlift. If I can't touch my toes between sets I'll do a quick one anywhere from calves/achilles/hamstring/quad/hip flexors/glutes/lower back to make sure I can keep going with good form. Occasionally in the evenings too while watching tv.

Top Bottom