Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How do you prepare for a 1RM????

Cubanito17

Hey guys, Sup. Well I feel sometimes when I go for my max i think about it too much before i do it and get a mental block. As much as I try too focus on the music and keep sayin too myself in my head this is just the bar it doesn't seem too work. As soon as that weight reaches my chest that I'm bout too press it is when I tell myself "who am I kidding this isn't the bar." What do all of you do too prepare mentally for a lift?? Since I box also I know that boxing is 90% mental and 10% physical. Ever since I took PL serious though i've dropped boxing a lil every once in a while i go out too the garage and hit tha bag on my cardio days though, havn't lost my speed on the speed bag which is good. Thanx appreciate any help I can get.

I sometimes do the same thing in the deadlift. If I think about it to much I kinda screw myself. I need to go up set up and lift. If I set up twice or think about the lift to long, it is over. Usually when I am lifting fairly heavy I will do my set and then leave the area so that I stop thinking about the lift for a couple minutes. Try not thinking so much before you lift.

The mental block you are having was probably developed by the way you have been training for the last few months. Not the few minutes before the lift. If you are going in maxing out all the time YOU WILL have mental blocks. I NEVER hit failure on the bench press while training for a meet. If I want to kill myself and make my eyes pop out I go do rack lockouts. I do not even want to know what failure is on the bench press. I believe that is how you are screwing yourself. You need to do weight that you can lift for a few reps and if you don't think you can do the next rep or you think you will need a spotter DON'T DO IT. A trick to avoid mental blocks. And, as you know, you can be your own worst enemy if your not right in the head.

Powfit thanx for the help I try too max out every 4 weeks and that's when our coach pulls ou the bandana tells us leave the weight room and what he feels you can max at is what he'll put on the bar if you do it easy then he adds more just doesn't tell you he just says try this one more time or somethin. And bout lockouts i know those can be done on a squat rack but what type of weight should you use if your max is 225 lbs.
hey endpoint funny i got a good laugh outta that one :D

PowFit said:
The mental block you are having was probably developed by the way you have been training for the last few months. Not the few minutes before the lift. If you are going in maxing out all the time YOU WILL have mental blocks. I NEVER hit failure on the bench press while training for a meet. If I want to kill myself and make my eyes pop out I go do rack lockouts. I do not even want to know what failure is on the bench press.

I believe that you are right..and he is thinkin too much. However I dont believe that you should afraid of failure. "If are afraid to fail you will be afraid to succeed" Louie. In the Westside system you are doing max effort work every week. And besides the strength benefits...it teaches you to not be afraid of BIG weights. "Its better to die then not to try".

And as for the blindfold...and him putting what he thinks on there. Thats bullshit. I want to know what I've got on there. I'm the one that has to do the work. If I get psyched for 450 and I make the lift..then I take the blindfold off and find out it was 425 then I will be disappointed. And I probably wont try as hard the next time.

I know the reason he blindfolds us is b/c we all think bout the weight too much and if we say well I think I can do 245 for my next lift but it is alot of weight diff then we start thinkin bout it and for some reason we don't get it. The reason I know is b/c for the first 4 weeks of summer I did that with him but then after that instead of keep lifting all summer I quit b/c of an illness and after that I got injured. How can I mentally prepare myself for a lift I try putting on music that gets me pumped when I do other things i.e. boxing, but it doesn't work for me. And I know I can bench more than 225 it's just when it really comes down too it I freak and can't do it.

Doesn't that blindfold shit throw you out of your groove? Don't think just get under the bar and do it!!!

See as much as I try to not think about it when I finally get too it thats when I think about it too much. Well it really doesn't throw me off b/c I picture in my head me pushing up whatever is on there. Thanx anyone else with points.

Dude, I see you have sereral posts about basically the same thing -- getting stronger. Um, the blindfold thing, well I wouldn't do it. Why? What are you going to do at a meet and they call your name and amount you will be attempting?? You will see the weight and hear the amount btu you will not be blindfolded. You also ask several questions about getting stronger and have pointed inthe right direction -- have you read everything on these sites. All the info is there that you need. Here is the exact link that you need on the deepsquatter site:http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/

Read all the Louie Simmons and dave Tate articles. The others are really not very good.

Top Bottom