Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how do i know my 1 rep max if i don't try?

henrypar

I was working out with a few buddies and we were all playing around and decided to see how much weight we can bench for 1 rep only. so my friend goes first and struggles to get 1 rep and has to get help. suddenly some big dude runs over and says we shouldn't lift like that cause we can get hurt. okay so how would we know how much we can rep max then?

unless you are competing where on that particular day you max out and go balls out you should never 1 rep max. you will break down your body and cause silly injuries that were easily preventable

pro athletes go balls out on game day, but during practice the smart ones know how to ease up on the gas. nobody pounds their body all season. in fact NFL players don't even hit during practice during the season, they save it for the actual game

I do not recommend doing it even though it is tempting. Once you fuck up your shoulder for example, you can set yourself back years.

I'm not saying dont so one rep maxes, but they shouldn't be done very often. Maybe once every 3 or 4 months at most. You can gauge it based on other lifts. On chest day I typically go do several warm up sets then do a set of 8, then 6, then 5, then 3 all with increasing weight but never to failure. Implementing progressive overload those weights will increase over time

I don't try for 1rm more than 2 or 3 times a year. You need to be properly rested in the days before and properly warmed up as well. You should reasonable know what your limit is roughly at judging from your normal routine as well.

Top Bottom