Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how close should your grip be on close grip bench?

I make it so my thumbs just barely touch if I extend them towards each other. I think you lose too much control without really hitting the tris much more if you go too close.

As long as you keep your elbows in, and hands are far enough apart to avoid wrist pain and maintain control of the bar I personally dont think it matters too much.

About one hand width closer on each side than my normal bench. My normal bench is ring finger on the rings.

I don’t think there is a major difference between grips between maybe 12 to 6 inches apart in terms of hitting the tris. Obviously your own specific shoulder width will be a factor here, and you are best to try things out and see how it feels for you.

Two factors to bare in mind are the stress on your wrists and balancing the bar. Both of these are alleviated with a grip to the wider end of the above range.

as close as you can go that keeps your wrists straight while your elbows are tucked. generally speaking, you could go as narrow as your hands will go if you were to put your fists to your sides at the bottom position of your bench.

i see too many guys doing these with their wrists super cocked and elbows flaring. to each his own, but its asking for wrist problems. :)

Top Bottom