Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How can you bench safely without spotters?

Vienat

Hi people! After seeing yesterday's post about thepowerlifter who died doing a bench press, I started to wonder, howcan you do bench presses alone without a spotter in a safe way. Canyou give me some insight?

There is a way. For instance, you can use dumbells, so in case you see that you can't pull them up, you can just let them fall by your side. Also, there are bench presses that have physical limiters, so that the bar won't fall on you. I understand that they do not use those on powerlifting comps because these guys are supposed to touch their chest with the the bar, but these accidents are not all that rare.

you should be aware of how much weight you can push without needing a spotter

also working out in the gym around people, we all know to keep an eye on each other and have each others back in case something goes wrong.

working out at home lifting heavy on something like the bench press is a bad idea

Do bench presses in the squat rack with the safeties up. That's what I do.

If the squat rack is taken, you can use dumbbells or just ask someone for a spot.

If you train at a decent gym, asking someone for a spot will be no big deal. Just make sure to return the favour after. After the spot you, offer to spot them.

Most gyms have a very supportive atmosphere and people are more then happy to offer a spot to someone training hard.

With the power rack - would this distance you don't reach till touching your chest on the reps make a difference? I always had the understanding that you need to touch the chest with the bar on each rep....

Top Bottom