Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How can I increase my vertical leap?

Herminator

Hello I'm new here.

My vertical leap is 24 inches. My routine so far is just calve raises, jumping rope, and squats. I was wondering if anyone out there know a good routine for gaining more vertical? Do those silly shoes with the extended toes really increase your vertical?

Those shoes are alright, a lot of times its also "practice makes perfect". If your already doing a lot of calve and leg work(along with some moderate plyometrics...jumping rope) then maybe you should try playing some basketball or volleyball where you will be jumping more. Also I would add in some plyometric exercises like box jumps..or my favorite which is to find something pretty high up(basketball hoop, ceiling) and then stand in place and jump up and touch it with your right arm, as soong as you land jump up again and touch with your left, keep alternating and try not to rest in between reps until your very fatigued...once your resting more than a couple seconds between them stop for a couple minutes then repeat a few times.

are you doing this for a certain sport ? bball ? high jump ? I had decent hops, but they died during the season because of over training

I'm mainly want to do this for basketball. I play regularly. Just wanted to see what other type of programs people use to increase there vertical. Thanx for all the help I will frequent these boards more.

Make sure you are squatting similar to how you jump, in terms of how far your knees go forward in either. Do no more than 6 reps for squats.

Add some jump squats they help a lot. And some light but extremely fast and explosive squats

welp I decided to do some squat leaps and the people at the gym where looking at me like I was on crack or something. LOL but to be honest with you I feel a great difference already, I dunno if it awaked some unkown ass muscle from the leaps but I anihilated alot of people playing ball this weekend. probably just mental thing. We shall see in the comming months when I measure my vertical again. thanx for all the replys again.

Here's a general program that I've written to increase athletic ability (I hate the term vertical jump program...).

SportGorilla The Ultimate Vertical Leap Guide

I do think however that there is no such thing as a one size fits all program, since everyone has different hinks that need working out before benefits can be experience. So my advice would be to take a program like mine to a coach or fitness instructor who has some experience with training athletes. They will then be able to help you put together an individual program that is just right for you.

Nah, Dynamic Warmups, those are the best, my vertical jump went from 24 to 31 while playing football, We did them everyday before speed drills and before workouts, they are the best way to stretch and they will build you hops... look them up but some examples include, reach jumps, fast high knees, high knee hops, out/in hip skips, backward sprints, streching backward runs, frog jumps, frankensteins, High kicks(Bruce Lees), ankle walks... there are a lot more, mix and match like 5-7.

Top Bottom