Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How can I increase my Pullup reps?

ok Im about 100kgs and I can barly do 5 pull ups using a full ROM (I mean the double over hand grip, or are they called Chin Ups?).

My gym has a machine for assistants but I find the motion VERY unatural and it doesnt have grips to where Id like to grip, if you can understand that, its only got a very wide and very close handles, and I was going for just out side shoulder width.

I used to have 2 training buddie but they have school now and well be going at seoerate times, they used to lift me by the knees once I hit failure but this method was also useless.

I do deads and lying BB rows and the occasional T Bar Rows.
I just thought I say that as I think most of you will ask if I do them

thoughts?

it sucks but pull downs (narrow and wide grip) may help to build up some strength.

the other thing i'd do is to get a dipping belt and sling on some weight. start with 5lbs and do maybe around 3 reps. the following week, try to increase to 10lbs and so on. after some time your 5 rep max should be higher than before.

silver_shadow said:
it sucks but pull downs (narrow and wide grip) may help to build up some strength.

the other thing i'd do is to get a dipping belt and sling on some weight. start with 5lbs and do maybe around 3 reps. the following week, try to increase to 10lbs and so on. after some time your 5 rep max should be higher than before.

A great idea and it always worked well for me.

If you keep trying to increase reps by using the same weight (in this case bodyweight) it can be very difficult to improve.

When you start lifting heavier, after awhile the lighter weight (your bodyweight) will start feeling much lighter and you should be able to rep higher.

start by doing 50 total reps, taking as many sets as you need to get there. next time around, on your first set or two, you'll add another rep or 2.....

Use a partner. Do 1 rep, he does 1. Work your way up till some one fails and start back at 1 again. Do it till you can't do a pull up.

H_T_ said:
start by doing 50 total reps, taking as many sets as you need to get there. next time around, on your first set or two, you'll add another rep or 2.....
We have a winner.

Many a year ago... THE back routine was to do 80 reps of pullups... no matter how many sets it took. First time I started doing it... I was doing a lot of sets of 1 or 2 at the end. But to this day I've found nothing that comes close to giving you the results of that routine.

The assisted pullup machine destroys your ability to advance. It is actually a counterproductive tool. Pulldowns and weighted pullups won't help you get there either.

The only thing I've seen in 30+ years of lifting that will improve your numbers is to set a high rep goal and hit it no matter how many sets it takes. Typically... after a month or two your first set will really rock for numbers.

And nothing... absolutely nothing gives you the results that an 80 rep pullup routine does for developing back. Nothing even comes close.

Last edited:
H_T_ said:

IMO doing 50 reps is not a good way to train for the OP. It doesn't make any sense. It would lead to serious overtraining in heavy individuals that can only do 1 - 5 reps at bodyweight and probably lead to elbow and shoulder injuries too.

If a person could manage at least 10 reps on their first set, then perhaps it would be ok.

Would you do 50 reps on a bench press weight that allowed only 5 reps on your first set? You'd probably end up doing 15 to 20 very heavy sets to complete your 50 reps if you did.

Would you start bench pressing on a 5 rep max weight? I don't think you would.

Heavy people incapable of many bodyweight reps on chinups should work up to bodyweight with some warmup pulldowns and not do too many sets.

SofaGeorge said:
We have a winner.

Many a year ago... THE back routine was to do 80 reps of pullups... no matter how many sets it took. First time I started doing it... I was doing a lot of sets of 1 or 2 at the end. But to this day I've found nothing that comes close to giving you the results of that routine.

The assisted pullup machine destroys your ability to advance. It is actually a counterproductive tool. Pulldowns and weighted pullups won't help you get there either.

The only thing I've seen in 30+ years of lifting that will improve your numbers is to set a high rep goal and hit it no matter how many sets it takes. Typically... after a month or two your first set will really rock for numbers.

And nothing... absolutely nothing gives you the results that an 80 rep pullup routine does for developing back. Nothing even comes close.

Would this be your whole back routine, or would you do other exercises?

I have been doing 5 reps of both pull ups and chins, and just increasing the weight, to the point where I can now do them both weighted, with 25kg (55lb) and 30 kg (66lb) respectively.

I have done these as my dominant back exercise (over the barbel row, b/c I assume that since I could do more weight on chins/pull ups), it must be better exercise.

Looking at me though u wouldn't think this - would it be worth doing the 80 rep routine in this instance (it take me 4 sets I think). It just seems strange doing 20 rep sets. But I want to try something different for back

SofaGeorge said:
We have a winner.

Top Bottom