Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How can I increase my Pullup reps?

tropo said:
IMO doing 50 reps is not a good way to train for the OP. It doesn't make any sense. It would lead to serious overtraining in heavy individuals that can only do 1 - 5 reps at bodyweight and probably lead to elbow and shoulder injuries too.

If a person could manage at least 10 reps on their first set, then perhaps it would be ok.

Would you do 50 reps on a bench press weight that allowed only 5 reps on your first set? You'd probably end up doing 15 to 20 very heavy sets to complete your 50 reps if you did.

As a heavy guy, I agree with this logic. If you're not good at pull-ups, trying to do 50 reps with your bodyweight is suicidal in terms of making progress, because it's way too much volume and intensity.

I've found that doing three sets to failure twice a week works pretty well. At 250 lbs, I went from a 3-rep max to an 8-rep max this way in three months. I also do band-assisted pull-ups for higher reps when I feel like I can handle the extra volume.

Pull-downs seem to be worthless unless you're doing them for super high reps with a very light weight for active recovery. Also, adding weight before you're ready can lead to major elbow pain, which I've experienced.

SofaGeorge said:
And nothing... absolutely nothing gives you the results that an 80 rep pullup routine does for developing back. Nothing even comes close.

Can you be more specific when you say results? Do you mean size? Wide lats? Also does the grip stay the same (I use a shoulder-width grip with palms facing towards me, thumbs not wrapped around the bar).

Thanks

JimBoy said:
Would this be your whole back routine, or would you do other exercises?

As of late, since I have started attempting Pullups my Routine looks like:

1) Pull up and/or PullDowns 3-4 sets (Pull ups till failure) Downs 12,10,8 or 12,12,12
2) Dead lifts 3x5/5x5/3x12,10,8 (Deads are my main back movement)
3) Low Cable Rows 3x12,10,8/Lying BB Rows 3x5/3x12,12,12
4) T-Bar Rows (with a BB and low cable row handle) 3x5/3x12,10,8/ 'Chainsaws' 3x5/3x12,10,8

I do Biceps 2 days before my back routine.
Should I try doin 5 rep maxes on Bicep and Back days?

I would suggest going for 25 reps total as oppossed to 50 to start with.

If you think about it, a lot of rep schemes...5x5, 4x6, 3x8 all account of around a 25 rep total. So this may be a good starting point.

I normally do 2 sets of pullups at the start of my back workout, then move onto to 2 sets of pulldowns immediately after. Pullups are improving very well so far. I must admit, I'm fairly new to this exercise...but Im fairly pleased with my progress
The main issue I have is I can do like 2 sets of pullups and get 8 - 12 reps fairly easily. But if I go for another set, I'm lucky if I can get 4!..lol. I don't know what it is. So at the moment I just focus on 2 sets and do as many reps as I can on those until I can get a 25 rep total easily in 2 sets. Then it's time to add some weight :)

Longhorn85 said:
Can you be more specific when you say results? Do you mean size? Wide lats? Also does the grip stay the same (I use a shoulder-width grip with palms facing towards me, thumbs not wrapped around the bar).

Thanks
Bro, try hitting it. It's the training routine that builds a massive back. It gives you thick wide lats... and honestly nothing else does it this well to give you the thickness.

One of the elements of lifting that most people don't come to grasp until way too late in the game is that a VERY few exercises give the best results... and typically everything else is a distant second or third. For chest, dips and incline dumbbells rock for chest development... and pretty much everything else is second place. In the same way, on back - pullups are king. Even deads and barbell rows are second place to pullups... and deads are a great exercise. It's just that pullups are that much better for building muscle.

Truthfully, most people have really crappy backs. In the 70s and 80s there used to be a saying "If your legs suck... you aren't squatting. If your back sucks... you aren't doing pullups." The simplicity of that message somehow got lsot over the years.

Nobody starts out being able to do an 80 rep routine easily... but if you attack it... within about two months you can get it done in 4-5 sets. And then you can add rows and deads on top of your pullups.

This BS about some guys being too "heavy" is just that... pure BS. When I was 262 lbs... I did my sets with a 100 lbs dumbbell hanging from my dip belt. (My goal was to hit 200 lbs on pullups. Art Zeller could do a 200 lbs pullup and a 300 lbs dip. I started to tear my shoulder at [I think] 180 lbs... and have only done body weight since. That was 5 years ago.) But every guy with size I know starts out saying they can't do it... it's too much... blah blah blah... and then if they actually go for it they come back with a real respect for what it does for them. The funny part of this is dinky little skinny guys have just as much trouble starting trying to do 80 reps. It sounds like a lot... until you do it for a while and then you see it isn't a big deal.

I might try that 80 rep thing. Pull ups and Dips are my two main upper body lifts. I have been told that pull ups and dips are the upper body version of the DL and Squat.
I have never done this but I have seen people recommend "greasing the groove" with pull ups. Just casually do a few sets every day and never go to failure. It is supposedly a sure fire way to add reps.

do more..... J/K, I believe that constantly doing them through the day and using the weight assisted machine is the way to go.

u418936 said:
As a heavy guy, I agree with this logic. If you're not good at pull-ups, trying to do 50 reps with your bodyweight is suicidal in terms of making progress, because it's way too much volume and intensity.

I've found that doing three sets to failure twice a week works pretty well. At 250 lbs, I went from a 3-rep max to an 8-rep max this way in three months. I also do band-assisted pull-ups for higher reps when I feel like I can handle the extra volume.

Pull-downs seem to be worthless unless you're doing them for super high reps with a very light weight for active recovery. Also, adding weight before you're ready can lead to major elbow pain, which I've experienced.
exactly! if you aren't good AND you are heavy (rob is 220lbs), then you probably won't get up to 50 anyway even with 1 rep sets later on.

just get a dipping belt and work on doing lower reps

SofaGeorge said:
Bro, try hitting it. It's the training routine that builds a massive back. It gives you thick wide lats... and honestly nothing else does it this well to give you the thickness.

One of the elements of lifting that most people don't come to grasp until way too late in the game is that a VERY few exercises give the best results... and typically everything else is a distant second or third. For chest, dips and incline dumbbells rock for chest development... and pretty much everything else is second place. In the same way, on back - pullups are king. Even deads and barbell rows are second place to pullups... and deads are a great exercise. It's just that pullups are that much better for building muscle.

Truthfully, most people have really crappy backs. In the 70s and 80s there used to be a saying "If your legs suck... you aren't squatting. If your back sucks... you aren't doing pullups." The simplicity of that message somehow got lsot over the years.

Nobody starts out being able to do an 80 rep routine easily... but if you attack it... within about two months you can get it done in 4-5 sets. And then you can add rows and deads on top of your pullups.

This BS about some guys being too "heavy" is just that... pure BS. When I was 262 lbs... I did my sets with a 100 lbs dumbbell hanging from my dip belt. (My goal was to hit 200 lbs on pullups. Art Zeller could do a 200 lbs pullup and a 300 lbs dip. I started to tear my shoulder at [I think] 180 lbs... and have only done body weight since. That was 5 years ago.) But every guy with size I know starts out saying they can't do it... it's too much... blah blah blah... and then if they actually go for it they come back with a real respect for what it does for them. The funny part of this is dinky little skinny guys have just as much trouble starting trying to do 80 reps. It sounds like a lot... until you do it for a while and then you see it isn't a big deal.

This whole idea about doing 80 reps of pullups is just hocus pocus.

Just the fact that for 5 years you haven't gotten any better at chinups because of a shoulder tear caused by your obsessive enthusiam tells it all.

You actually think that a heavy guy who can only manage 5 reps on a set can make it to 16 - 20 reps for 4-5 sets in 2 months? That is pure BS.

Bro, I'm not sure why you would describe an effective routine as hocus pocus... but I'm guessing you aren't highly experienced. I'd be astounded if your pulldown routine is giving you significant back development. I've never seen anyone get there that way... but if it is working for you... great.

I stopped doing weighted pullups when I experienced a shoulder tear. I never stopped doing chins... just weighted. I had a heavy dumbbell tied to me and as I pulled up I could feel the burn as the tear started... and I had pretty purple streaks the next morning. I went to bodyweight after that simply because I think there is a limit to how much I'm willing to risk. I box, kickbox, and practice judo. I want my body intact for more than weightlifting.

I'm not really sure what you mean about how I haven't gotten "better" at chins and pullups in 5 years. At 240 lbs, I pull 25-26 reps on my first set at bodyweight. It's about the same number I pull when I am at 260. I don't need my numbers going "up" to develop more back... I don't want more back... and adding a couple reps numbers isn't a goal for me.

Do I think a "heavy" guy who pulls 5 reps can make it to 16-20 in a couple months. No... not if he is a lazy fat ass with a bad attitude... but I've seen a lot of guys over the last 30 years who were 220-240 who swore they couldn't do it and they were there in 6 weeks.

Truthfully bro, you come across as an inexperienced guy who gives bad advice and gets ticked off when someone contradicts them.

I don't post a lot here any more... so good luck to you.

Top Bottom