Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

HIIT workout AND building muscle? possible?

otissmithd

Hello everyone,
I've been contemplating whether I want to bulk up for the summer or start cutting fat to get a six pack. I'm newer to training and have been a regular at the local gym (2-3x a week) for about 6 months, primarily doing basic fitness (general running and basic workouts, dumbbells, machines). I decided I want to get serious and had a couple of questions...

I know it's hard/impossible to build muscle while doing HIIT, my primary goal is to get a six pack and cut fat. I'm 140 lbs, 5'8". My secondary goal is to build arms (muscle growth), and at the least retain muscle in my arms. I have access to a gym on Tuesday, Wednesday (<60 minutes), Thursday, and Friday.

1. Is it feasible for me to do both? How would I create a plan with the primary and most important goal of cutting the fat and gaining a six pack while retaining/building muscle?

2. Do I continue weight training? I'm new to this so I'm wondering if I should do a 3 day split schedule with biceps/back one day, triceps chest another, etc.

3. If gaining muscle/retaining muscle while doing HIIT/losing fat is possible, anything in particular I should know about eating? I'm 18 years old. Should I eat a cliff bar before/after? egg whites? I know to lose fat I should be eating 500 cal. under my needs for the day.

Anything else I should know? Sorry for all the questions. My main question is that I've seen threads on how to body build with a 3 day split, and how to do a HIIT program, but I'm having trouble understanding how building muscle/retaining muscle fits into that, and what I need to do to have the most effective workout without overdoing it (since I am doing HIIT/cutting fat)

THANKS!

Hello everyone,
I've been contemplating whether I want to bulk up for the summer or start cutting fat to get a six pack. I'm newer to training and have been a regular at the local gym (2-3x a week) for about 6 months, primarily doing basic fitness (general running and basic workouts, dumbbells, machines). I decided I want to get serious and had a couple of questions...

I know it's hard/impossible to build muscle while doing HIIT, my primary goal is to get a six pack and cut fat. I'm 140 lbs, 5'8". My secondary goal is to build arms (muscle growth), and at the least retain muscle in my arms. I have access to a gym on Tuesday, Wednesday (<60 minutes), Thursday, and Friday.

1. Is it feasible for me to do both? How would I create a plan with the primary and most important goal of cutting the fat and gaining a six pack while retaining/building muscle?
If you're new to weights, you might be able to pull both off for a short time. The most important factor in this is dialing down your diet IMO you can eat just a bit more than what you need every day. But very clean!

2. Do I continue weight training? I'm new to this so I'm wondering if I should do a 3 day split schedule with biceps/back one day, triceps chest another, etc.
Yes continue training if you want to build muscle. You should read "The Ultimate Split" sticky at top to get an idea of a good split. My current one is mon/tues/thur/fri and it goes chest/tris, back/bis legs/shoulders.

3. If gaining muscle/retaining muscle while doing HIIT/losing fat is possible, anything in particular I should know about eating? I'm 18 years old. Should I eat a cliff bar before/after? egg whites? I know to lose fat I should be eating 500 cal. under my needs for the day.
You should read up on carb cycling if you want to lose fat. It would be hard to gain muscle though on that diet.. I would just eat super clean and eat plenty and see where that takes you. You should have a protein shake before your workout, and plenty of carbs after. Eat a lot of whole grains (potatoes, brown rice, natural oats, whole grain break, etc.) and lean meats.

Anything else I should know? Sorry for all the questions. My main question is that I've seen threads on how to body build with a 3 day split, and how to do a HIIT program, but I'm having trouble understanding how building muscle/retaining muscle fits into that, and what I need to do to have the most effective workout without overdoing it (since I am doing HIIT/cutting fat)

THANKS!

Realistically you're gonna wanna focus on one goal sooner or later. You don't weigh that much, do you know your bf or can you post up some pics?

okay, so im basically going to eat a little above what I need?

clean meaning low carb?

Protein shake meaning whey protein? I'm 18 so only stuff thats safe

How much protein should I take in each day?

thanks for the help!

you should take about 1.5 grams of protein X your bodyweight in pounds every day. Feel free to eat as many carbs as you want, carbs are good. If you feel like you're gaining too much fat or not slimming down enough after a month or two then you can begin to taper the carbs. And yeah whey protein. Don't rely on shakes too much though keep it to 2 a day. Solid meals are your friend here.

just to confirm, for optimal muscle mass gains and slim fat gains, 1.5x protein (so 139x1.5) and how many calories? I don't wanna over do it and still looking to hopefully bulk within 16 weeks and cut most fat by mid summer

I'm doing a 3 day split

acne treatment | acne scar treatment | acne remedy

Top Bottom