Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High-bar squat vs low-bar

i have the option of a safety squat bar in my gym. This bar puts the weight higher on your back/neck. The difference between the two possitions is: The higher the bar is on the kneck the harder it is to stay upright/arched. (This is why when you miss a squat with the bar high, you usually tip foward)

The lower positions keeps you inline better and centers the center of gravity.

I use the higher bar placement to strengthen my upper back to be able to hold massive weight upright, so when i go to the lower bar position, my back has been strengthened NOT to tip forward.

I'm not sure if the placement I use would be called high or low, I just know I have a sweet spot on my back that allows me to load the bar up and there is no pain at all. This was not the case for me years ago, I suppose it's the added meat I have added to my back over the last few years. No need for the sissy pad anymore.

It all depends on what you are training for. If you are a weightlifter then a high bar has a place, but it's not like you're back squatting in a meet. IMO back squats are for power and even if training for weightlifting, low bar squatting is still beneficial as you can hold a bigger load, thus get stronger.

Thanks guys

im asking this because today i tryed it and squating with low-bar was times lighter than high bar. Though i had trouble holding it correctly and doubt that i can squat with it when weight nears my max.
---

Another question. Would it work to box squat with wide stance but with high-bar squat ?

Wide stance box squat with low bar felt so much more natural to me but i dont think its an option for me, right now.

Czar87 said:
Thanks guys

im asking this because today i tryed it and squating with low-bar was times lighter than high bar. Though i had trouble holding it correctly and doubt that i can squat with it when weight nears my max.
---

Another question. Would it work to box squat with wide stance but with high-bar squat ?

Wide stance box squat with low bar felt so much more natural to me but i dont think its an option for me, right now.

bro whatever feels 'better' to you....no need to overthink.

i do box squats wide legged and low bar (i power lift so this is normal )

you always need to relize that everyone's bone structure/muscle structer/and muscle insert points are different on ALL PEOPLE. So if being wide makes you feel more comfortable then go right ahead. It will work other muscles more, thats all.

i went from powerlifting WIDE (580lbs last competition) to going shoulder width and sit on my calves. The weight dropped atleast 75lbs on the bar.

Get strong one way, but always remember to workout those lackin muscles.

wide squats works alot of hips/groin
narrow squats works more of the legs i feel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom