Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High Alkaline Diet?

MikeMartial

Seems a lot of fighters these days are into this; in the recent issue of BlackBelt mag, Couture is quoted as saying:

"I'm taking some excellent new supplements and use a high alkaline diet with whole foods and a lot of grains..." Couture is known for his conditioning, and wouldn't fuck around and waste his time with garbage. At 42 years old, he just can't afford it.

A MMA school I train at has their professional fighters on a high alkaline diet. A lot of hype these days about it on other websites.

Initially, I thought it was just tree-hugger bullshit or a pure fad; after reading an article by Berardi here, I'm wondering if there's a significant benefit to it.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Heard the good, the bad? Other articles?

Gymgurl said:
Hey I saw this on the diet board...did you learn anything about it yet?

Not a whole lot...I was actually curious if anyone followed a diet similar to this. I posted the exact same question on a couple of martial arts forums I visit, but didn't get a whole lot of hits.

It's either a fad that will fade, or something that needs more studies done on it.

The key in the whole diet is the buffering of acid, specifically lactic acid. I know it sounds a bit insane, but I may actually try supplementing sodium bicarbonate, based on this article Buffering Agents And Exercise Performance

Another link here

Last edited:
Mike,
I have tried this diet at one time. My body did not do well on Na and Ca, so I stuck with other two main Alkaline minerals. K and Mg. That worked out pretty good. Most people from what I later found out, do good only on Na and Ca or K and Mg. Not both. Be careful with Na, especially during spring.

MikeMartial said:
Seems a lot of fighters these days are into this; in the recent issue of BlackBelt mag, Couture is quoted as saying:

"I'm taking some excellent new supplements and use a high alkaline diet with whole foods and a lot of grains..." Couture is known for his conditioning, and wouldn't fuck around and waste his time with garbage. At 42 years old, he just can't afford it.

A MMA school I train at has their professional fighters on a high alkaline diet. A lot of hype these days about it on other websites.

Initially, I thought it was just tree-hugger bullshit or a pure fad; after reading an article by Berardi here, I'm wondering if there's a significant benefit to it.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Heard the good, the bad? Other articles?

Whole foods and organics is a direction I'm heading in myself.
It's harder to get your protein when it has to be organic eggs and organically fed cows beef. But I want to read more in what the article says. Most anything high in protein will be acid based food.

MikeMartial said:
Not a whole lot...I was actually curious if anyone followed a diet similar to this. I posted the exact same question on a couple of martial arts forums I visit, but didn't get a whole lot of hits.

It's either a fad that will fade, or something that needs more studies done on it.

The key in the whole diet is the buffering of acid, specifically lactic acid. I know it sounds a bit insane, but I may actually try supplementing sodium bicarbonate, based on this article Buffering Agents And Exercise Performance

Another link here

sodium bicarbonate also reduces stomach acid... This doesn't sound like it would work well in conjunction with a pre workout meal.

gjohnson5 said:
sodium bicarbonate also reduces stomach acid... This doesn't sound like it would work well in conjunction with a pre workout meal.

Excellent point; timing would be highly essential to decrease any side effects. And I have yet to try this out---mainly for fear of tossing my cookies while working out.

I can look up some stuff on this as myself am interested in the subject of pH balance. I will say this, I believe your body is bogged down by foods we all eat none more so than here in the United States. I believe that pH balance is very important. I'll do some research on this and post back after awhile.

PyRoTeK said:
I'll do some research on this and post back after awhile.

Awesome, more info is always better. If you hear of any anecdotal reports on this type of diet, post 'em up also.

Just this weekend we had a local MMA/MT event here, and I ended up doing the pre-medicals and event medical stand-by. I asked the one fighter I knew if he was still doing the high-alkaline diet, and he replied "oh yeah, for sure"---not only is this guy in his late 30's, and in great shape, he made his fight look easy.

I'll have to hook up with him and get the details on the what and why of his diet.

Top Bottom