Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help with weight training routine

Guinness5.0 said:
I've never heard of bones growing b/c of lifting weights. They can get denser, but I'd be pretty surprised if anyone had an appreciable change in bone size based on weight lifting.

Is there anyone else who thinks bones will grow from lifting?

they get thicker.

My body has drastically changed from weightlifting. I used to be skinny straight up and down, now i have broad shoulders.

Keep Left said:
My body has drastically changed from weightlifting. I used to be skinny straight up and down, now i have broad shoulders.
I asked your age b/c I thought perhaps you were attributing normal male growth to weight training. I don't think it's unusual for men's shoulders to get broader (structurally) into their twenties, regardless of weight training.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong but it would be news to me if bones grew due to weightlifting.

free weights,free weights and more free weights
i believe they add balance, strenghth, you can adapt them to do pretty much what you want depending on your program..JMO

First off, don't worry about turning into some man-mountain behemoth overnight. If that could happen then everyone who went to a gym would be enormous. It takes a lot of hard work and time to look freaky so just work hard at the weights and let your muscles grow. You'll have plenty of time to decide on what look you want them to have while you're doing it.

My personal opinion is that machines are useful for rehabilitaion after injury and for isolating muscle groups if you're a bodybuilder. As a fresh lifter, you should do pretty much all of your work with free weights. A lot of your overall strength comes from the interaction between muscles and muscle groups and using a machine to workout on doesn't encourage disparate muscle groups to work together.

Ideally you want a program with bench-pressing, squatting, bent rowing, overhead pressing, abdominal work and something to work your hamstrings. Cleans are a pretty good choice. Take a look at this thread:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375215
and especially the Single-Factor program:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4497774&postcount=15

If you have any questions on anything there, post in the main 5x5 thread itself. Lots of people check in there and are usually eager to help.

Overall, you'd be better off joining a gym or getting yourself a flat bench and a power rack than trying to start your weightlifting on the machine.

Keep Left said:
Stay away from Squatting, Benching, Deadlifts and other load baring lifts if you dont want to add size to your frame. By doing loadbearing lifts your bones will grow thicker and change the shape of your body.

I'm speechless. I simply don't know what to say to that. :worried:

No, wait. I've got it. Here's the question: Isn't every weightlifting exercise, from squats to kickbacks, a load bearing lift? Hmmm... So if you shouldn't do load bearing lifts, you'd better just stick to calisthenics, then. Hold on, ... wait a sec ... Then you'd be bearing the weight of your body. Damn. That won't work either. Bear with me, now ... I can do this.

Okay. Got it. Here goes:

To a certain extent, "looking muscular" IS "bulking up." The only way you're going to look muscular is to, well, build muscles. How is that different from bulking up? (rhetorical question). It's not, of course. It's really just a question of degree. The difference is largely one of degree. The point is to work to advance your strength and physique levels in accordance with YOUR goals. You don't have to turn into a 300 pound behemoth. Listen to these other guys. Use heavy, compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, power cleans, bench, military press, bent rows. Eat lots, but eat smart. Pay attention to guys like Blut Wump, Guinness and Madcow. You will become "muscular."

Oh, and don't listen to 24-year old wingnuts.

mpc

"Think of Tiger Woods out there hitting a bucket of balls. He's not swinging the 5-iron to get stronger -- he's swinging it to hone the groove. Hone the groove."

Keep Left said:
they get thicker.

Just like when going to summer camp caused you to grow 4 inches that summer, right?

Sheesh.

mpc

"Think of Tiger Woods out there hitting a bucket of balls. He's not swinging the 5-iron to get stronger -- he's swinging it to hone the groove. Hone the groove."

Thanks for the replies. I guess what I think bulking up is, not what it is what I think bulking up is, not what it is

Guinness5.0 said:
I've never heard of bones growing b/c of lifting weights. They can get denser, but I'd be pretty surprised if anyone had an appreciable change in bone size based on weight lifting.

Is there anyone else who thinks bones will grow from lifting?

I think they get denser
mabye some slight growth
I doubt it will be really noticable tho visually
the important thing is
do you have a squat rack to be doing these squats...
and do you know cleans form properly or are you winging it

Top Bottom