Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

help w/ seated shoulder presses

J

jeremys

when i do these, i use a small seat w/ a back that goes up to the middle of my back

on my heavy sets i lean back and end up making it almost an incline bench. i'm thinking it's cheating but it makes me feel a lot more stable and of course i get the weight up

if i sit straight up w/ no back support then i feel really weak and unstable

i guess what im asking is should i do these w/ a full back on a seat or lighten the weight a lot and work up in what feels like unstable form

I would definitely lower the weight and work your way up. You might as well just do inclines if you keep doing them the way you described. I alternate between standing overhead press and seated overhead press with no back support. I push press probably once a month at the most.

yeah perhaps i should do them standing instead of sitting?

I do mine sitting with no back support. I feel like I can do them stricter that way. It is very important not to lean back, IMO.

Its weird without arching. . . the bar would smack me in the nose.

Use whats comfortable in my opinion. . . .your delts will take a beating.

Also. . think about strict overhead dumbbell presses or standing barbell presses if you are concerned about excess arching.

Backlash said:
I do mine sitting with no back support. I feel like I can do them stricter that way. It is very important not to lean back, IMO.

if i dont lean back a little im smacking myself in the chin or the nose...???

I dont know, I notice a significant amount of stability when I am seated as opposed to not having back support. For me it just seems easier on the joints, but I strictly use dumbells. Maybe take a little longer rest period before your final set to make sure you can go all out.

I'm sure I lean back a little, but I try not to. I do move my head out of the way on the way up and down with the bar. If you're using dbs, it should be a problem at all.

I use the same bench you do. I used to do dumbell presses on a regular bench that tilted up 90 degrees. I could do 90 lb dumbells relatively easy.

One day I said what the hell and switched to the other bench with little / no back support. There's a HUGE difference and it's much harder. I'd say stick with the bench you're using and drop your weight.

Top Bottom