Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help My Friends Squat

shibs

Stay frosty
My friend wants to get into lifting so he's been coming with me to the gym and I'm getting him all set up. His squat form is coming along alright.. except for the fact that he can't even come close to low enough. I keep pushing him to go lower while keeping all the key points of the squat in mind but he just can't. He blames it on his flexibility (he's tall, about 6'3''). I don't know what his problem his. Anyone have any ideas or tricks to help him?

Being tall is not an excuse. I'm 6'3" and I can do ATG squats so he shouldn't have any issues. Since you don't have a vid of him squatting posted, I would suggest that he is simply using a weight that is far too heavy for him. He should use a lower weight until he can perfect his squatting form, which will inevitably help him and prevent injuries once he uses heavier weights. If he's still having issues maybe you can have him use the smith machine until he feels comfortable.

play with his stance... see if he can go deeper switching narrower or wider...
it could make a huge difference or not, but its worth playing with... my narrow squat is deeper than my wide but i suppose for others it could be the other way around

I'll give this a try, do you think the direction his feet are pointed would affect this as well?

Being tall is not an excuse. I'm 6'3" and I can do ATG squats so he shouldn't have any issues. Since you don't have a vid of him squatting posted, I would suggest that he is simply using a weight that is far too heavy for him. He should use a lower weight until he can perfect his squatting form, which will inevitably help him and prevent injuries once he uses heavier weights. If he's still having issues maybe you can have him use the smith machine until he feels comfortable.

I'll try lowering the weights some too, but fuck the smith machine lol

I don't really like to squat. its just not my thing. anyways, both my ankles are fucked, from skateboard accidents when I was younger, I don't have flexibility in my ankles for shit. When I would squat, my ankles would raise of the ground. The gym I was going to at the time had a 2x4 sitting there, and I saw people putting that under their feet, under the heel, while squating.
Anyways I guess instead of bringing a 2x4 to the gym, you could place 45's under the heels.

Another thing is, one of the PT's at my gym says that people who have trouble squatting, have overly tight hip flexor muscles. She suggested i use one of those Foam tube things and place it on the ground, and lay my thigh on it and roll back and forth on it. to help loosen that muscle, and get it to stretch more.

Dunno if this is sound, or she doesn't know WTF she is talking about, but I thought I would pass it on.

Hope it helps.

DUDe i used to train people as a trainer and this is what i would do

First of all they look retarded trying to do a squat because its a lot going on at one time. Its like riding a bike u just gotta get used to the motion. I would place a bench behind them and just tell them to sit down because that is the motion they need to get used to. When they sit down and they know something is behind them it forces them to sit "back" and stay on their heals which is where a lot of ppl mess up. So after they get that down I put on weight, just the bar (i always trained women so the bar was kinda a lot at first)

After this I would take a video of them doing it with the bench, and then a video with them doing it without the bench. With them being able to visually see what they were doing, they corrected their problems a lot easier rather then when i was telling them what they were doing wrong.

Hope this helps brotha. Also id start with feet wider, toes pointed a little out

Top Bottom