Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me make my squat less shit

CitizenKane

I'm coming to the end of my tether with my squat.

For ages I didn't have the flexibility to do anything resembling a low bar squat, so after messing around with high bar oly-style squatting I managed to work up to my strongest squat ever a couple of weeks ago (140kg single, 110kg x 5 x 5 - so weak I know).

But the overwhelming consensus appears to be that a low bar position with a wider stance to parallel WILL allow you to shift more weight than a high bar mod stance ass to the grass, which is what I currently use. I read in an article (could have been by dave tate or mark rip, not sure) that bar position can make "all the difference in the world" to your squat, so I'm wondering might this be the key to improving my hilariously shit squat?

So now that I have improved my shoulder flexibility so much I want to try a low bar position. But the problem is I just feel completely lost whenever I try this. A high bar position with the bar sitting on top of my traps feels the most comfortable, whereas having the bar resting on the back of my shoulder blades or whatever just feels unnatural and unstable.

What am I doing wrong? Should I have the pins set lower so that I am leaning forward more?

How much of a forward lean are we talking about? Given that I've only ever really done high bar and so a virtually straight torso is all I'm used to.

How narrow should my grip on the bar be?

How wide should my stance be?

I'm just wondering if anybody can give me any information whatsoever to help me here! Any tips/links to vids/articles, etc. Anything!

Thanks!

The methods you are talking about are really what I call "small benefit changes." Meaning you get good stuff from them, but only when everything else is dialed in.

I can help you.

But here's what I need. I want a video of you squatting to a box that is about 1" below parallel using about 75-80% of your max. The clip should be of at least 3-5 reps, from a side angle, and with the cameral about 10-12" above the height of the box. If you can also shoot some video from behind as well, that will be even better.

Generally speaking a weak squat isn't so much about bar placement, as it is weak points in either form, muscle groups or both. The video will be able to tell me all that. After I review it, I can give you some suggestions on what to work on.

B-

Wow that would be very generous of you! Might take me a while to get a vid though as I train alone and don't have a camera, but I will organise a training session with a friend asap in order to get one and return when I get a vid. Thank you for your (prospective) help!

yeah a vid would help the most bblazer is a smart guy i have read some of his post and he knows what hes talking about!!! but what helps me when i squat is a wider then nomal stance i go about one and a half shoulder lenth stance it makes me feel more stable and i also see alot of people at the gym who lean way forward when they lower for there squat for me i try to do the least amout of lean forward as possible with good balance so it causes the least amount of stress on the back of course this is what works for me, it helped me take my squat from about 102 kg to repping about 206 kg in about 7 weeks i think the postion of your back has just as much to do the postion of your leges

It's kinda funny after learning so many intricacies of the squat I've kinda come full circle. I am technically no squat master as my current poundages aren't worth bragging about due to too many periodic training layoffs, but anyhow.

I started seriously lifting again just over 4 months ago and a national heavyweight powerlifter I know pretty much dialed my squat form in with doing just a few things.

Using a low bar placement unless you have really flexible shoulders you will need to use a wider grip. Take your grip and then pull yourself into the bar to set it's position. Slide it down your traps. With a low bar position you will always be leaning a certain amount otherwise the bar would fall off your back.

Settle your feet shoulder width, tighten yourself, look forward and unrack the weight. At this point I usually look down as I step back out and set my feet. Try to take 1 step back with 1 leg, then the other. Then set your stance width by bringing 1 leg out wider. I use a heels shoulder width stance and this is what has been recommended by my PL friend. Turn your toes out 25-35 degrees. Go with the amount of toe flare that feels natural.

Now look forward. Make sure your upper back is arched tightly. Take some air into your stomach, not your upper chest and then tighten your abs. Now squat down. Don't worry about pushing your hips back. Just keep looking forward and squat all the way down. Using a lowbar position with heels shoulder width should drop your hip crease just below parallel when dropping all the way down.

Now squat back up keeping your eyes forward. When your last couple reps get hard or on a max lift attempt it helps if you try to push your elbows forward. This attempts to pull your chest up and shoulders back.

The short version is basically once bar position and stance is set just focus on eyes forward and naturally squatting down with a tight upper back and abs. That's it. If you do those few simple things provided you don't have an odd build or are very tall then you'll likely have a textbook looking squat in the bottom position.

Don't buy into this mumbo jumbo of knees not going past the toes. In a natural squat as you descend the knees do pass the toes to a certain extent. This is taking the knee through it's natural range of motion. In the bottom position your knees will be inline with your toes or slightly behind them. The deep squat position is very beneficial for the knees.

I almost seriously injured my right knee trying to sit back into the squat and not dropping into a full squat position using common powerlifting wide stance squatting advice.

Obviously like bblazer asked for, a video would help with any glaring squat issues, or adjustments that need to be made in form based off your build let alone muscle groups that may need specific targeting to bring up their weakness.

I'm coming to the end of my tether with my squat.

For ages I didn't have the flexibility to do anything resembling a low bar squat, so after messing around with high bar oly-style squatting I managed to work up to my strongest squat ever a couple of weeks ago (140kg single, 110kg x 5 x 5 - so weak I know).

But the overwhelming consensus appears to be that a low bar position with a wider stance to parallel WILL allow you to shift more weight than a high bar mod stance ass to the grass, which is what I currently use. I read in an article (could have been by dave tate or mark rip, not sure) that bar position can make "all the difference in the world" to your squat, so I'm wondering might this be the key to improving my hilariously shit squat?

So now that I have improved my shoulder flexibility so much I want to try a low bar position. But the problem is I just feel completely lost whenever I try this. A high bar position with the bar sitting on top of my traps feels the most comfortable, whereas having the bar resting on the back of my shoulder blades or whatever just feels unnatural and unstable.

What am I doing wrong? Should I have the pins set lower so that I am leaning forward more?

How much of a forward lean are we talking about? Given that I've only ever really done high bar and so a virtually straight torso is all I'm used to.

How narrow should my grip on the bar be?

How wide should my stance be?

I'm just wondering if anybody can give me any information whatsoever to help me here! Any tips/links to vids/articles, etc. Anything!

Thanks!

I have my feet where they would be in a normal dead lift.
The bar sits mid-top of trap.
I go ATG.
Stick to 4-5 rep squats with a spotter and your squat will go up.

over 220lb increase in 7 wks>> unlikely.

LIKELY the reason i was able to raise my squat that much is becuase i was hardcore into lifting 4 years ago and i stoped... the start off weight i posted was the weight i did the very first week i got back into it and the rest of it was all MUSCLE MEMORY now since im back close to as strong as i was before im not making gains nowhere near that now

if you wanna get technical i started a book on my gains just becuase every body builder i have ever talked to said its good to document your stats and in the first 7-8 weeks just from muscle memory my bench went from 195- repin 275 squat went from 225 to reping 455 the only thing i havent made huge progress in is deadlift and back

Top Bottom