Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me help my partner ...

gettinlarger

I just wanted some advice to give to my lifting partner. you see, ive been lifting for about a year and half now, so im significantly stronger and bigger than he is. he has just started a few months ago. some exercises i do which work incredibly well, he cannot do, due to his inexperience (these include dips and pullups. he also does not do squats, because the weight of everything puts pain on his upper back). anyone have anything to help me out with? we work the same routine pretty much ...

day 1 - chest
bench
db press
flys
and then ill throw some weighted dips in, but hes not strong enough to do these yet, not even with his own body weight

day 2 - back
weighted pullups. (again, he cant do them)
deads
bent over db rows
t bar rows
shrugs

3 - arms
i switch it up a lot, but its like 4 exercises of the following for bis:
bb curls
db curls standing
db curls inclined
concentrations
preacher curls
one arm preachers

skullcrushers
pushdowns, rope and v bar
sometimes some close grip press

4 - shoulders/legs
military press
db press
raises
squats (hell do a leg press machine while i squat)
extensions
ham curls
calf raises

i want to help my buddy get bigger and stronger. he is doing very well so far, with the exception of him skipping the exercises. some of them i think he is just ashamed because he is not that strong yet. do you think i just need to motivate him more than i do now? or should he just continue what he is doing until he gains the strength to participate in some of these exercises?

I would do squats first in the leg workout. Here's a rule of thumb;

Always do the exercises that hit the most and largest number of muscles first,

e.g. Bench press before pec dec before tri pushdowns.

So the Squats should be first in workout 4, and you should teach him how to squat, even if it's with the bar only, 4 sets of 10 with PERFECT form will leave him sore if he's never squatted before.

JC

Training with a partner significantly weaker will do nothing for you. Set him on a program with at least bench, deads, squats and curls and be on your way. Find a partner close to your abilities.

he will either catch up fairly quickly or just not work out for you at all. My best gains have always been made "chasing" someone (bigger, stronger workout partner)

bbuniv1.jpg

It is always better to chase someone...agreed.

B True

b fold-

If you ever need someone to chase to put you over the top, you can come to D.C. any time bro!!!!

:silly:

That's my point

the person being chased does not see those gains. Get with someone who can push you either by being stronger currently or find someone who is similiar who makes it competitive.

joncrane: Thanks...don't usually find myself in DC often though...been 3-4 times...hah...I like the country.

I used to have a partner that was not as strong as I was...but could kick my tain on reps...we pushed each other that way.

B True

Instead of dips have him do pushups and get the same nuber reps you got on bench after a few weeks he'll be able to do them.

For pullups have him go to the lat pulldown machine and do pullups the same grip you use.

For squats have him use lkioght weight and get the from down first if he want to grow he's gonna need squats.

I know it is hard to watch your partner not be as strong as you but you need to help them get thewre and if it means the extra time to lessen the weight for them then do it, competition is the best. I don't mind being ahead trying to be on the top is just as hadrd as catching up. cause you don't want to let your partner catch up ever, I know it is sick but that is the way it is.

Lord_sust:

Some idiot in pumping iron: The wolf on top is never as hungry as the one trying to get to the top

Arnold: Yes but when he wants the food it's THERE.

Word up G I think if you have the fire you have it, and if you can devote even a little extra energy to helping someone else you should. I think it would be awesome if everybody lifted weights.

Of course if you're a competitor of some kind bodybuilder you have to be selfish but if you're just a fitness enthusiast I think it's admirable to help others out.

Top Bottom