Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me get a 5-minute mile!

txarmyguy23 said:
(ex: running 5 200 meters at 32 seconds with say 1minute recovery then dropping it to 5 200meters at 31 seconds and possibly drop his recovery time to say 30-45 seconds) the last 2 weeks use 1 day for sprints and the 2nd for a 4-6mile run.

I wouldn't call 32 second 200s a sprint. It's also somewhat silly to do program that depends on running the 200 ONE SECOND faster as though you can control it that precisly.

The mile is 90% aerobic. Sprinting is anaerobic. The workouts should be geared towards increasing aerobic capacity/threshold. Examples of these workouts would be 3x800 at threshold and 1 ominute job, n x 800 at threshold with 34 seconds rest, or Nx400 /w 30 seconds rest, etc.

Case closed.

I'll PM you my trainers. They have some pretty elite guys though I'm more one of those guys who is just doing it for the hell of it.

I just wanted to give you a little moral support and tell you that i was in the sam situation as you and i did it. Last November I was running a 6:53 mile- by the end of May I got it down to 4:57. This however came with pushing myself VERY hard EVERYDAY for like 6 months. I just felt that you outta know that it can be done. (by the way, now ive got the 2ed fasted mile in the school-im a sophmore) Keep go'n hard n u can do it.

TiGeRTrAcK1600m

First off, I happened upon this forum after doing a search on 5 minute miles on Google and was interested to hear how bodybuilders would get around to completing that task given their training regimen might be somewhat anethama to most distance runners. I am now an advanced level runner able to complete a mile in around 4.45(that was my time today with my first mile challenge) or less given my novice status at this event. There was no way possible to have achieved this time if my main emphasis was on sprints in training. I cannot see how an anerobic activity such as sprinting can dramatically aid an aspiring mile racer in what plainly is an endurance event. Yes, sprints help in getting to kick, but after that the aerobic efficiency of the athlete is what matters most in the mile. As far as the goal of getting to a 5 minute mile, I would say you will have to (unless you are superman) concentrate on getting more days in on the track and work at increasing your aerobic volumizing through more miles put into your running schedule. Otherwise, the sight of a heavy muscled bodybuilder trying to sprint his way through 4 laps of the track would indeed be painful to watch. Consider also that power athletes like decathletes who may incorporate somewhat more aerobic conditioning in their schedule, than say the average bodybuilder, typically despise the mile event : too draining and fatiguing for their powerpacked bodies. I would be impressed if you can achieve your goal of completing the mile in under 5 minutes. Good luck to you if you can get the job done.

Hi I may be able to help ya out. When I was in the Army I had the same goal as you but for 2 miles. A Ranger help me out . Heres what ya do. Get on a tread meal and set a time 1 min lower than your best time and go at it. At no time will you lower the speed. When you get use to it then lower it another min and so on. It worked for me My 14 min 2 mile went to a 10 min 2 mile. The Army thought I was on drugs and had me tested. Hope this works.

Synpax said:
I wouldn't call 32 second 200s a sprint. It's also somewhat silly to do program that depends on running the 200 ONE SECOND faster as though you can control it that precisly.

The mile is 90% aerobic. Sprinting is anaerobic. The workouts should be geared towards increasing aerobic capacity/threshold. Examples of these workouts would be 3x800 at threshold and 1 ominute job, n x 800 at threshold with 34 seconds rest, or Nx400 /w 30 seconds rest, etc.

Case closed.

I'll PM you my trainers. They have some pretty elite guys though I'm more one of those guys who is just doing it for the hell of it.

A 32 second 200 is a turtle in a hare's race...

Yeah , I keep reading people talk about running 400. a quarter is a sprint and totally anaerobic. I could run 50 second quarters repetitively but could never run a 5 minute mile much less the 4 minute mile pace I was on the first quarter.

Top Bottom