Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me get a 5-minute mile!

BOOEY

Banned
I'm running about a 7 minute mile now and would like to get it down to 5 minutes. I would only be able to do the run once or, tops, twice a week due to my lifting schedule (I only fit in 2 days of cardio per week). But other than actually running the mile over and over again every week, what can I do to get faster and improve my endurance/stamina. I would like to see a significant drop in time before I start bulking up again (mid-October). Thanks!

You know how hard it is to get a 5 min mile? You need to hire a coach or join a running club. What's your best 400 time? Go run a 400 and let us know what the time is.

So I re-read your post. It is not possible to cut your 1 mile time from 7+ minutes to 5 minutes by October. I think it will be easier for me to go from a 200 to 300 max bench press. by March than for you to get to a 5 minute mile in 1 year (although I am not fully aware of the potency of cardio-related performance enhancing drugs).

Seriously, I'm not trying to discourage you. Maybe if you were 15 years old and had a good work ethic you could have it by 16.

I would suggest that you set more reachable goals (say, a 6:30 mile within 2 months) - that would probably be possible.

I'd also suggest starting to get into racing. The distances are longer but it is a good incentive.

I will get it. It's been close to a year since I've done consistent cardio, my first time back on the track and I got 7 min

Anyone else?

fastest mile I ever ran was 5mins 45 sec I thought I was gonna die. end I'm very fast. Get a coach, oxygen tent, train in colorado for a year.

As an EX college distance runner I feel certain that no matter how hard you train or the shape you are in that if you dont run more then 2 a week I SERIOUSLY dont think it could be done...Now then again if on your 2 running days if you say did about 3 miles worth of 400 meter repeats starting at a extremly slow pace say 2minutes a 400 and with each 400 meters try to drop2 seconds you might be able to shock your body enough for that many miles worth of repeats to get an idea of what a 5 minute mile would feel like for you....On your 2nd running day I would put in a long run say 5-10 miles....Since your not a consistant runner 5 miles would be a good start for a long run for your 2nd run of the week...now if you were to have 5 days a week to run then I could probably get you a training program that would give you a better chance to do it say 3-4 months time

In all honesty get ankle weights (1 1/2 - 2lbs) and try running in the shallow end of the pool. Sprinters do this as resistance training.

little chris said:
fastest mile I ever ran was 5mins 45 sec I thought I was gonna die. end I'm very fast. Get a coach, oxygen tent, train in colorado for a year.

you can't be that fast. I average a 5:30 mile when I run a 4 mile clip.

Top Bottom