Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me get a 5-minute mile!

played football as a RB and hockey as a winger since I was 9. I'm 5'6" 165-170 at 5-6% BF. My best forty was a 4.38. I do a good amount of weighted resistance wind sprints.

BOOEY said:
I'm running about a 7 minute mile now and would like to get it down to 5 minutes. I would only be able to do the run once or, tops, twice a week due to my lifting schedule (I only fit in 2 days of cardio per week). But other than actually running the mile over and over again every week, what can I do to get faster and improve my endurance/stamina. I would like to see a significant drop in time before I start bulking up again (mid-October). Thanks!

My best time for a mile was 5:24. I am a girl. (although I was a SChamp athlete in the 1600). Men run faster than women. You can most definitely do this. If you are concentrating on the 1600, I would suggest working on your 400 and your 800. I always had a training partner (or team) to push me along. Make sure your endurance is up to par. I was running sometimes around 100 miles per week (my coach was training for a marathon). You will need that endurance combined with the speed for your last 200 m.

Good luck.

it will take a lot more than 2 miles a week to run a 5 flat, high 5's you may be able to get if you are ungodly conditioned and have someone pushing you that is good at running

Kroliczek said:
My best time for a mile was 5:24. I am a girl. (although I was a SChamp athlete in the 1600). Men run faster than women. You can most definitely do this. If you are concentrating on the 1600, I would suggest working on your 400 and your 800. I always had a training partner (or team) to push me along. Make sure your endurance is up to par. I was running sometimes around 100 miles per week (my coach was training for a marathon). You will need that endurance combined with the speed for your last 200 m.

Good luck.

He definitly can't get it in the time frame he gave. But your post is instructional in telling us what it takes to get that low.

Look at Kroliczek. State champ among all the high school girls in the 1 mile. Her time was 5:24. She was training up to 100 miles a week.

See what she had to do to get there? And genetics probably played a part (I am guessing she's an a-cup cutie and pretty skinny /w little upper body development - or at least she did at the time?)

If I'm wrong about any of that, please let me know.

You definitly CAN get to 5 minute mile - IF you are willing to do what it takes.

Synpax said:
He definitly can't get it in the time frame he gave. But your post is instructional in telling us what it takes to get that low.

Look at Kroliczek. State champ among all the high school girls in the 1 mile. Her time was 5:24. She was training up to 100 miles a week.

See what she had to do to get there? And genetics probably played a part (I am guessing she's an a-cup cutie and pretty skinny /w little upper body development - or at least she did at the time?)

If I'm wrong about any of that, please let me know.

You definitly CAN get to 5 minute mile - IF you are willing to do what it takes.

LOL. I am actually pretty genetically gifted, I would assume. I have always been a good athlete...competitive swimmer. Actually I have a c cup, and I did back then also. I just always wore 2 sports bras. ;) (plus I was SC in 97)

For a girl to get to a 5 minute mile, that's tough. But for a guy...I believe that it is totally possible. He just has to bust his buns. He has to make running his life, blood, and breath for the next few months.

Hey What's up, I completely forgot about this thread, so sorry I haven't been able to keep up with the replies.

On Oct 10, I clocked a 6:02 mile. So in about a month I was able to get it down a minute and some change. I only allowed myself two days to train each week because I'm very paranoid about losing muscle, I'm sure if I dedicated myself 100% I could have gotten a better time. But what I did was on Day 1, I ran 3.5 miles and on Day 2 I did a shitload of 100m or 400m sprints (I mixed it up each week). I think this combo worked very well because it helped with my endurance and speed. I'm pretty satisfied with 6 minutes. I started to bulk the day after I clocked it, so I won't be training for the mile until I can give it a 100% for a good 5-6 months. But I plan on continuing to run those sprints every so often, I think those helped out the most. Thanks for all the help people.

Sprints are not an aerobic exercise. The mile is about 90% aerobic. 6:02 is a good place to be but each additional second becomes exponentially more difficult to get off.

Like I said, I'm not training for the mile until I have 5-6 month period to give it my all. If you don't think sprints are good for maintaining or even improving endurance and power, then I tell you to get on a track and try it .......

BOOEY said:
Like I said, I'm not training for the mile until I have 5-6 month period to give it my all. If you don't think sprints are good for maintaining or even improving endurance and power, then I tell you to get on a track and try it .......

I spend more time on the track - rain, snow, sub-zero weather - busting speed work twice a week (plus road running/trail running/cycling/swimming - hard cardio every day) and I know what the hell I'm talking about. I'm trained by some of the most elite athletes in this country. I can also cite title and verse the racing god Robert Glover. I don't need you telling me what to do to develop endurance.

The sprints are pointless. No training program for the mile uses them other than 40s or whatever and that is to learn proper form, not to develop 'power and endurance.'

Besides, other than olympians and track team members, no one runs the 'mile' competitively. In my index of about a hundred races this month in nation's capital there is one 3k.

Synpax said:
I spend more time on the track - rain, snow, sub-zero weather - busting speed work twice a week (plus road running/trail running/cycling/swimming - hard cardio every day) and I know what the hell I'm talking about. I'm trained by some of the most elite athletes in this country. I can also cite title and verse the racing god Robert Glover. I don't need you telling me what to do to develop endurance.

The sprints are pointless. No training program for the mile uses them other than 40s or whatever and that is to learn proper form, not to develop 'power and endurance.'

Besides, other than olympians and track team members, no one runs the 'mile' competitively. In my index of about a hundred races this month in nation's capital there is one 3k.

on a Competive level I dont think you can say that sprints are pointless...being from Houston I had the opportunity to do some summer training for summer track with some very competive middle distance runners like Jason Lunn, competed against Sam Burley, and Jonathan Johnson, david krumnenacker did some training at Rice and the University of houston a few times...Ran against the Hauser twins when I was in highschool but they moved up to the 5k and 10k in track once they got to college...Anyone heard of Adam Davis All American 1500 runner from Rice, He grew up 3 houses down from me and started training for the 800/1600 the summer I graduated from highschool and still today he does 200-1200 meter sprints...You want to develop power your doing sprints plain and simple. Unless your in a location to run hills or Mountains your not going to develop the kind of power needed without sprints ranging from short to longer...Show me a good miler that wins that doesn't have sprinting power...Grant it this guy is just trying to run a sub 6minute mile and he's going to limit his training days then he's gonna have to push his body hard enough that it will be able to handle pushing a pace fast enough to reach his goal. Brandon Rock was a prime example who ran the 800 and 1500 while mainting mostly a sprinting training with 1 10mile run a week...There are 2 ways to develop endurance and though I would personally choose to make longer runs to develop my ability to volumize air, not everyone can take distance to an advantage in running a mid distance race.

Let me ask everyone this what do you think is going to be more beneficial for this runner to put in distance 1-2 days of the week or too do say start out with 3 miles worth of sprints ranging from 100 meters to 1200 meters? 1-2 days a week and adding 1 mile to it every week till he's 6 weeks out when he starts dropping the mileage by a week and lowering his times for each sprint say by 1 sec a rep (ex: running 5 200 meters at 32 seconds with say 1minute recovery then dropping it to 5 200meters at 31 seconds and possibly drop his recovery time to say 30-45 seconds) the last 2 weeks use 1 day for sprints and the 2nd for a 4-6mile run. I mean there are alot of things you can do to reach this goal and it would determine largely with how is body reacts to different types of training.

On a personal note I'd like to know who's training you just to see if I know any of them from my former running days send me a pm if thats cool

Top Bottom