Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help on FCE of Lumbar Region (flexibility)

shannonvrn

I have a question relating to a Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) of the lumbar region and lower extremities. My pre-employment physical found that since I am 5'11" and 240 pounds, my body mass index was high and I need to have an FCE performed by an orthopedist. It will be testing strength, endurance, and flexibility. I don't have to worry about the strength and endurance, but......

Does anyone have suggestions about increasing flexibility in a short time-span (1 week)---especially the hamstrings and lower back??? Any input or experiences with FCE's would also be welcome, as I have no idea what I'm up against.

I have been doing the modified hurdler stretches and straight-legged deadlifts. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, either here on the board or directly to my email box ([email protected]).

Thanks,
/S
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

I don't believe it's possible to increase flexibility in one week, just like you can't really increase strength in one week.

For the future, any 'forward bending' yoga poses will help with ham flexibility- so long as you hold them for at *least* 30 seconds & don't bounce.

Good luck with your test & just don't 'push it'. If you stretch past the point of, "Mild Tension" you can injure yourself & it's not worth it!

-Gladi

To increase flexibility you need to stretch, stretch stretch. At least 10 times a day. Only 30 seconds per leg or so. Place your heel on something like a box or chair and concentrate on rotating your pelvis back. You should feel a huge stretch in your hamstrings.
It would be wholy possible to gain 2 or 3 inches of flexibility in a week or so, but you have to be constantly stretching.

see if you cant get a deep tissue release massage sometime soon. also stretch 3-4x a day. maybe cut your training back and just stretch and do cardio to pass.

hit a "cat stretch" where you go down on all 4s and push your back as high up as you can.

a 90/90 is a modified hurdler stretch where you have one leg forward and bent in at a 90 deg angle, you have the other leg to your side at a 90 as well. useful for stretching the glutes.

try some pnf stretching for your hams, if you have a partner to help you.

hope that helps.

I want to thank everyone for thier input and advice. My physical examination went quite well. I learned one thing...I never realized how tight my hams were until I tried stretching them (and it feels good). I think fexibility will top my New Year's Resolution List.

Again, thanks for your help in my time of need.

Shannon

Top Bottom