Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help... Calf raises causing back pain

AustinTX

Hello everyone, I've been around enjoying the boards for a while, and finally got off my ass and joined a gym but need some help with my calf exercises.

As a bit of background, I'm 37, 168 lbs, 20% BF, just started working out 5-6 weeks ago. My Tanita scale shows that I've gained about 6-7 lbs of muscle, and lost 2.6 lbs of fat over this time)

I've been upping the weight on my seated and standing calf raises weekly. Last week I was at 3 sets of 15 at 135 lbs on the seated calf raise and 325 lbs on the standing calf raise.

The weight is not a problem at all for my calves, but I have some trouble with the initial lift on the standing exercise and the middle of my back (mostly on the right side) is killing me. Last week the middle of my back was slightly sore after doing 300 lb sets. I also did the angled standing calf raise that week at about 260 lbs which bothered my back.

I don't believe that any of my back exercies have caused the problems, I'm still light on those exercies and trying to do back extensions right after the angled standing calf raise, let me know my back was already sore from that exercise.

If I lower the weight, I'll have to work my calves all day to get a good pump. So, my questions are...

Do I need to wait for my back/upper legs to catch up to the weight my calves can handle?

Or does the the "calf slide" machine (sorry, not sure of the actual name, but it seems to be like doing standing calf raises but in a seated position with your legs fully extended, on a chair that is angled about 45 degrees from the foot platform) work the same muscles as the standing calf raise, so that I can forgo the standing calf raises altogether. (I did 3 sets of 20+ at 270 last week, and was planning on bumping it up to 360 this week)

Or, should I reduce the weight on the standing calf raises and just work 1 calf at a time? (If this is the option, am I correct in assuming that when I was doing 325 lbs, plus 175 for my body weight = 500 lbs, or 250 per calf; so that if doing one calf I would get the same workout with 75 lbs of weight + 175 body wt = 250 for one calf) This seems like an easier way to get to what would be a lot of weight when using both calves, w/o having to support too much wt with my back; 200-250 was no prob)

Thanks in advance.

I get the same problem, do calf raises on a leg press machine and it takes your back out of the equation and allows you to focus on your calves

Something I tried in Track was to do standing one legged calf raises on a stair... I would hold a 60lb dummbell in one hand... knock off 20 at EACH angle of the calf.

Also, seated calves? What about ... damnit, what are they called?? Mule kicks? I'm not a fan, but I would think the weight resting on your lower back wouldn't put strain on your middle back.

You should look into your entire workout, however.. I've found that even if doing a particular exercise DOES NOT hurt my back... it is... in fact, hurting it. Maybe list your routine up here, in its entirety, so we can see everything that you are doing.

BTW.. .AWESOME GAINS so far!!! You should be very proud!

Citrus

Try using a leg press as needsize stated or a hack squat machine and a bock if your gym has one. The back support on the hack is nice. I personally cant use the leg press because I sacrifice form/depth as my shoes slide a bit and I dont want my feet slipping off and weight crushing me :)

eastarr69 said:
do seated calve raises if you have the equipment...no back involved what so ever...

E
Seateds are ok, but I dont feel they hit the calf quite as well as the standing calf raise, just my opinion though.

I have found that putting a 35 pound plate on the seat and sitting on it, as well as putting the outermost ball of my foot on the raied part and going heavy as well as fully squeezing at the top and letting your heel touch the floor, but not resting on the floor, will give you good extension as well as a good pump and burn...i just figured since there were some back issues, this would be koser...even on the leg press he may feel some lower back discomfort...for me they are ok...some guys at the gym dont like them either...but with the range of motion i can get, i feel a good strain on the muscle...

E

Wait...

I see a problem here...a weakness. Don't avoid the weakness...attack it. You need a stronger core. That means training your abs and lower back with heavy weights and intensity...HARD!!!

B True

or you could Always trying talking your gym owner unto buying a Donkey press mahine :) i really miss my old gym, mostly because they had this.

b fold the truth said:
Wait...

I see a problem here...a weakness. Don't avoid the weakness...attack it. You need a stronger core. That means training your abs and lower back with heavy weights and intensity...HARD!!!

B True

I was waiting for this post from you.:D :D

Joker

Top Bottom