Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

help with biceps

kalibur

i'm not quit getting the results i want with my current routine.

Monday:
dumbbell curls
barbell curl
preacher curls
each one 2x12(less weight), 2x8 (more weight)

Thursday:
Dumbbell curls
seated dumbbell curls
preacher curls
1x12(less weight), 3x8 (a lot more weight)

i am getting some growth but i want more damn it. it seams that every other muscle is getting a lot bigger except the biceps. what am i doing wrong.

What are your full stats?

Age, weight, PR's...etc...

B True

at first glance i would say you're using too much volume. however if you post your stats, training history etc. you'll get much better help.

I would say too much volume in there too, especially if you do any kind of rows for your back too because they wear your bicep also.

I would stick to maybe 1 or 2 bicep exercicses per workout maybe twice a week like you are now.

I would like to see your template too. Oddly enough, my biceps started growing once my tris caught up.

lets see...

i'm 23 yo, 6', 184lbs

i've been keeping the same workout routine for the past 5 months

monday:
30 min morning cardio.
chest
sholders
biceps
triceps

tuesday:
30 min morning cardio
30 min afternoon cardio

wednesday:
30 min morning cardio
lower/mid back
complete legs

thursday:
30 min morning cardio
biceps (heavy)
chest (Heavy)
Sholders (heavy)
by heavy i mean i work them a lot more then i do on monday

friday:
30 min morning cardio
and i play ddr for about an hour

saturday/sunday: rest

also i don't take any type of drugs besides ephedra and multi-vitamans.

the set of 12 i always do 25 (each) with dumbbells and 50 with barbells. for the 8's i jump the wieght up by 10 pounds on monday, and grunt through 15-20 more on thursdays. not sure what my max lift would be never tried it. i do know that my max bench is 230 if that would help

one more thing i just got off ckd and now i'm trying to bulk. this is my third week and i've only gained 2 pounds so some advice would be helpfull.

Looks like way too much volume to me. I would overtrain on that, but you could be different.

Have you read any of the program stickies at the top of the page? I think spatts combined them all into one thread. Its a lot of reading, but well worth it.

If I am working a bodypart 2 times per week, I only do 1 workset. I do many warm up sets though. CoolColJ had posted a link on a thread about a good warmup routine. I tried it and liked it a lot, you might try it too. I felt much better and a lot more controlled on my work sets.

I guess I would try lowering the volume a bunch and see if it helps. As far as your weight gain goes, its all about your diet. If you arent gaining enough weight, you need to eat more. Up your caloric intake until you start seeing weight gains, but not too much fat gain.

Too much volume =/
Make barbell curls the core...5x5 it if you need to (better than dumbell since you can rotate your write taking strain of the biceps)
Next is the incline dumbell curl (replaces seated curl)
Then preacher curl

Make sure your form is strict too...I get sore abs from bicep curls :)

Do bear in mind, genetics plays a huge role in this and muscle does growth very slowly, it's your bodies last resort to respond to new stress.

How did you like the CKD? I might do it this summer, or I might actually go on all out ketosis (and stop lifting for 2 months)

You are training 5 days in a row and have SIX cardio sessions in a week and you are BULKING????!!!!!

Just a thought...but I may have found a key to your lack of progress.

B True

I'd also like to post the same :eek2: as B Fold.

You've been following this routine for 5-months, too?

I'd take a week off. 10-days off. At least a week. Someone suggested 5x5 as a way to go next. I would agree. And not so much volume for your biceps. Maybe even just rely on deads or back work and not do any direct bicep work.

A couple of thoughts...

Cardio:

Since you're trying to add mass, limit cardio sessions to 2 days a week or less, for maintenance. Lay off the ephedra as it kills your appetite as well.

Diet:

I'm not sure what it looks like, but I have a feeling you need to be eating a lot more than you are now. Try and get at least 300 grams of protein a day (I'd prefer 350+ for you) and at least 3500 calories a day as well. Look into the DC diet.

Training:

I would say your routine needs a serious overhaul. Considering your mindset, I would highly recommend HST for your position (DC is great too but it takes a bit more commitment).

The reason your biceps aren't big is twofold:

1. You aren't that big. If you gain a lot of muscle, your arms will grow along with the rest of you. I.e. when you hit 220 lbs, you better believe your arms will be a LOT bigger.

2. Too much work. While I would agree with 2-3 times a week frequency for hitting your bis, you're overdoing it on the sets. You do not need more than 1 exercise for your biceps, or more than 2 sets (I would suggest 1 set). They're already hit along with your back pulling motions--some choose to not do ANY direct arm work.

Top Bottom