Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Heavy weight low reps vs no weight high reps for killer abs?

curling

I had a debate with a friend. I said that abs are like any other muscle build it 8 to 10 rep sets of heavy weight two times a week and then diet and cardio is what makes them show. He said you need to high reps and then work them everyday.

Which is best?

Abs are about the only muscle group you can work everyday and get damn good results.

I have always been of the mindset to do as many as possible without weight.

I do do leg lifts with weight tho.

Low reps and heavy weights is the fastest way to grow abs.

Only fast twitch fibers make a muscle grow and these are stimulted with low reps, heavy weight.
This is also valid for abs and calves,the problem is abs and calves have a lot of slow twitch fibers, that is why they are so stubborn. If you do a thousand sets and reps your slow twitch fibers will do the work but these will not grow significantly.

I see a different problem. If you train your abs with weigths, your outward abs will maybe get so big that your waist appears wider.

greets
Jimmy

Yep, just like you would anyother muscle. If you want mass and tensile strength lower reps with weights is best, if you want the muscle cells to bloat to hold additional glucose for endurance then by all means do high reps.

I've always trained abs heavy and fairly low rep, have never done high rep anything, and I'm happy with my abs

When I used to train abs, I used 1 set of 30 reps for each exercise.

Now, I no longer train abs because they grow too fast. I feel that they are easily targetted when I perform squats, deadlifts, presses, and rows. I have really thick obliques from heavy training.

Only1eagle said:
Abs are about the only muscle group you can work everyday and get damn good results.

I have always been of the mindset to do as many as possible without weight.

nonsense!!!
maybe you dont work your abs hard enough can i do mine every 4-5 days and the day after i work em i'm so freakin sore.
a lot of people dont train abs properly. its a very small range of motion and if you do em properly you get burn the shit outta them with 10-20 reps.

I still don't understand why people view it differently than any other bodypart. Work it JUST like you would work any other... low/heavy reps.

Top Bottom