Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is this healthy?

Mighty P

What is a good way to figure out a maitenence caloric intake. No, I don't want to stay here, but I want to know where to start from. Right now my break down is about -
50 % protein
40 % carbs
10 % fat

I'm about 7% body fat @ 175 and I'd like to add more lean muscle. I don't want to go on the eat everything around bulking diet. I freak out if I can't see my abs. So, what is a good ratio/ caloric # to take in?
Thanks

:supercool

I'd go at least 3500 calories, 40-30-30 ratio.

Bulking is not about eating like a pig. It's about eating clean as you should always do, you just eat more.

MuSuLPhReAk said:
I'd up the fat to at least 20-25%
Good call. Fat is important for hormone production (i.e. TESTOSTERONE!!!) and immune system, plus a host of other things.
Look carbs are not evil! You need them to spare protein. Without a sufficent amount your body robs itself of protein which could be going to rebuilding and repairing muscle. Yes I know you up your protein to compensate but I'm unconvinced you should be doing this for an extended period of time. Right now your protein percentage is too high, IMO. If you're looking to add some muscle I would have my breakdown look like this
carb: pro: fat
50%:30%:20% or something close.

Good advice. Generally, unless someone is eating over 3500 calories, I'd say never drop the fat below 20%.

The trick is finding your intake for lean bulking; I'd guess around 2900-3100 is a good place to start, and if after two weeks you're not noticing a gain, add another 200-300 a day. What's your activity level like? If you're active otherwise (unlike me), then you might want to start around 3500 like the old man said. (and adjust from there)

Thanks for the advise. I'll give it a try. My activity level is super high btw. I'll up that fat now. olive oil, peanut butter, flax? What are some other ways to get healthy fat?
thanks again

:fro:

Flax is great; Almonds, peanuts, fatty fish, olives, throw these things in there. And don't be TOO scared of saturated fat; just keep the levels moderate. Beef isn't going to kill you. (heh. No comments, please)

(Oh, if you hate straight flax, combine two tablespoons of flax with a heaping tablespoon of unsweetened dutch cocoa (25 calories) and three-four packets of equal, and you got yourself a badass lump of bittersweet chocolate)

Mighty P said:
Thanks for the advise. I'll give it a try. My activity level is super high btw. I'll up that fat now. olive oil, peanut butter, flax? What are some other ways to get healthy fat?
thanks again

:fro:
:devil:
You can increase your fat intake with Essential Fatty Acid supplements.

Top Bottom