Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Have I become a powerlifter? What defines a powerlifter?

CobraUTAH

I always called myself a bodybuilder although I hadn't built all that much. Since I came here, and started training with the 5x5, and with the gains I've achieved I feel I'm no longer a bodybuilder at heart. I am far heavier than ever before but I still feel small and in many ways feel I'm smaller now than 35 pounds ago. I guess that's what they call bigitis? The bigger I get, the bigger I feel I need to get, to feel bigger??!? Anyway my original quest was to gain lots of new size and strength by training more like a powerlifter, and then cutting the size and fat and being happy at a lighter weight. Now that I've been bigger for a while I really love it, and wonder if anyone else has done this and if they were able to give up the size and power to be ripped? I truly see what everyone was talking about before, but it took some time walking the walk before I truly understood. So what makes a true powerlifter, and am I really one yet?

Is it?

1. The love to lift heavy?
2. The need and desire to compete?
3. The way you train low reps vs. high reps.
4. A state of mind, and personal feeling that you have inside?

I for one love to lift heavy, and I love to train heavy with low reps. I don't have the desire to compete in either powerlifting or bodybuilding ever I just enjoy changing the appearance and performance of my body by competeing with myself. I feel I'm more powerlifter now than bodybuilder, but do I have the ideas of the difference between the two right?

If you compete in powerlifting meets, you're a powerlifter. If you compete in bodybuilding competitions, you're a bodybuilder. If you compete in strongman competitions, you're a strongman. If you compete in football games, you're a football player.

IMO, if you don't compete, you're just lifting weights. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I think it's the competition that really defines what you are.

slobberknocker said:
If you compete in powerlifting meets, you're a powerlifter. If you compete in bodybuilding competitions, you're a bodybuilder. If you compete in strongman competitions, you're a strongman. If you compete in football games, you're a football player.

IMO, if you don't compete, you're just lifting weights. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I think it's the competition that really defines what you are.

well said brotha!! i've come across guys who had everything needed to be a powerlifter. when you compete, your a powerlifter just like a knight being sired! that's all there is to it..but it sounds like you have drive to be a powerlifter...just gotta get in there and compete...that's where it really counts..IMO. tb

If you wait until you think you're strong enough, you'll never compete, because you'll never really think you're strong. Just go ahead and get out there and compete, it's so good for you. It forces you to set goals and break them. It really helps your training. I should have done more meets.

slobberknocker said:
If you wait until you think you're strong enough, you'll never compete, because you'll never really think you're strong. Just go ahead and get out there and compete, it's so good for you. It forces you to set goals and break them. It really helps your training. I should have done more meets.

i'm with slobberknocker on this one as well!! just pick a meet, set some goals, and do it. but it would be great to know what your liftin now..maybe i can help ya out!! tb

I remember there was a time when I said, "If only I could weigh 160, I would be so happy". Now I am up to 220 and cant imagine weighing 215(although I am in bulking mode both mentally and physically). You mindset changes as your body changes. I love to lift heavy. I can not stand lifting heigher then 6 reps. I am not a powerlifter though. I love setting PR's and I focus on the 3 main lifts, but yet I don't train with the specific purpose of raising my max. That is really what defines a powerlifter.

Slobber and Brute--

I love you guys mentalities!!! I cant stand these 140lb faggots at the gym that call themselves bodybuilders because they carry a gallon waterjug and have color co-ordinated gloves, yet have probably never even been to a bodybuilding show.

On a side note, the gym I have been training at more frequently, I have to give props to all the bodybuilders there who actually put in REAL workouts(with REAL weights!!) Only thing that is disturbing me lately is the trend of spotting in DL. Whats wrong with missing a DL every once in awhile-It builds character. Im afraid if some guy comes up and bear hugs me from behind(and tries to call it a spot) he better have his life ins policy paid up.

Just my rant for what its worth

i have to get behind(pun intended) VDOP on this one. watching the guys at the gym spot each other on DL is about the most rediculous thing i've ever seen. it's about par with spotting on rack lockouts. IMO you either get it or you don't. if you miss....you suck it up, and try harder next time.

:devil:

Top Bottom