Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hamstring pulls from sprints

Veretta9

Last year around this time I pulled my left hamstring pretty bad doing sprints---it healed and is strong again---so today I go to the track and am doing sprints and I pulled my right hamstring---its not a bad pull---but its definitely tweaked---why is this happenining?---I ran a half mile warm-up---then stretched afterwards---then started my sprints--it happened after about 10 sprints----so proper warm-up is not the problem----I went out and drank a good amount of alcohol last night---is there any correlation between the two? Looking for answers

Alcohol is known for dehydrating people. If you drank a lot the night before, you were probably really dehidrated when you went to run, thus begin the cramps. You dont see olympic sprinters going out drinking the day before a meet. There is a reason for this.

how much hamstring work do you do? if you are quad dominant (as most sprinters are) then you leave yourself wide open to injury. the hamstrings function to decelerate the knee when running. also serve as hip extensors, half (if not more) your stride is reliant on your hams and glutes.

also, slowing down from a run is heavy on the hams. if you are weak, it will break down. once you heal, do some downhill running, sled dragging and weight training to strengthen it.

One of my training partners who rarely drinks and has insanely strong glutes/hams has pulled his hamstring at least twice while sprinting.

I think sprinting really puts them at risk, if you have had problems sprinting in the past I really wouldn't recommend doing it anymore.

Cuthbert said:
One of my training partners who rarely drinks and has insanely strong glutes/hams has pulled his hamstring at least twice while sprinting.

I think sprinting really puts them at risk, if you have had problems sprinting in the past I really wouldn't recommend doing it anymore.

:) I know the feeling.

Shane pulled his from doing sprints as well.

I've torn mine doing sumo deads, and reinjured it doing heavy farmers in a contest in February again.

You need to train yourself on the sprints. I'm thinking that if you pulled it on about your 10th sprint...and you had already ran a long ways...you were dehydrating yourself pretty good.

Can't think of why I'd run 10 sprints though. I'm not a sprinter, so that may be the problem.

B True

A lot of problems sprinting are caused from postural problems, such as a pelvic tilt. Running, even at a fast pace, is something your body should be able to do without incident. If injuries occur, it's probably because your posture is less than optimal.

Here's the deal--I am a division 1 college athlete for hockey---so doing sprints is part of our summer training program--obviously to gain quickness and speed---the thing is I have been doing sprints for the last 2 months once our summer program began with no problems---its not like the other day was the first time I sprinted since last summer----and I usually run at least 16 sets----it just happend---it definitely could be the fact that my quads are way more developed than my hamstrings---the only thing I really do for hamstrings is like 4 sets of leg curls because I figured that doing so many different squats and sets that they would develop enough from that---and combining that with the dehydration could have played a major role in why this happened---I really hope this doesn't take long to fully heal---how long would you guys suggest until I go sprinting again? Its not a bad pull---I can walk fine and even jog but I do feel a little pull in my ham when moving

Bumped for answers on how long I should take off before doing sprints again---today I did not feel any pull during anything throughout the day---from jumping rope to walking all day---I am lifting legs tomorrow---going to add stiff legged deadlifts to my workout along with leg curls---High reps, lightweight----anyone have any approximates until I can sprint again? Its been 3 full days since it happened

I pulled/tore mine...and 10 days later I could not box squat my own bodyweight...much less think about doing stiff legs or sprinting.

Use caution.

B True

Well part of it is because your hams don't know how to contract and relax properly. Which is critical in sprinting when they are contracting around 4-5 time a second

If you do a lot of Bodybuilding type work on em that will happen. You need to start doing reactive stuff on em after your rehab it, to recondition your firing patterns

Glute ham raises amd hypers also help strengthen them in a stretched postion

this article goes into a bit
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/reactiveability.html

also dehydration and mineral imbalances (sodium/postassium/calcium/magnesium) are a factor, always drink some electrolyte drink while sprinting.

Top Bottom