Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hammering specific muscle groups

35andfeel19

I'm currently working out 4 days a week

Chest/Tris/Abs - Tues
Back/BIs - Weds
Shoulders - Thurs
Legs - Fri

I perform 6 -9 working sets per each muscle group in the 4-6 rep range. Workouts last about 75 to 90 minutes.

I have been thinking about picking one muscle group per workout and just hammering the hell out of it and alternating what group I hammer every week. Say 5-8 additional working sets of a particular exercise on one muscle group.

ie. I normally do 9 working sets on Chest. 3 working sets of inclines, 3 of Flat and 3 declines. If I take the last exercise and hit it for 6 or 8 working sets and then the following week do that for a different muscle group, say tris. Do I run the risk of overtraining those muscle groups.

what I'm looking for is growth in both strength and size (Aren't we all). :)

Here is an example of what I'm thinking of doing.

Tues - Hammer Chest - 5-6 additional working sets of either incline,flat or decline presses. The following week I would do Tris with 5-6 additional working sets of either skull crushers, Close grip bench presses or push downs. The week after that do chest again but hammer a different exercise.

Weds - Hammer Lats with 5-6 additional working sets of Bent over rows, pull downs or dumbell rows.The following week hammer BIs. The following week, hammer traps.

Thurs - Hammer delts with 5-6 additional working sets of Military Presses or an isolation exercise for lateral or rear delts. The following week, hammer delts again at a different angle and rotate through each exercise until I come full circle.

Fri - Hammer Quads or hamstrings in the same way and rotate to a different exercise each week.

Keep in Mind that NO specific exercise would be hammered two weeks in a row.

An alternate plan to this one is adding an additional set to each exercise. On the last set I would drop the weight, say by a third, and then just rep out until I can't do it any more. I'd prefer to do the HIT thing instead though and keep all sets at below 6 reps with the max weight I can handle.

Whatdaya Think????

first off...what is your motivation for wanting to try this? have you hit a plateau of some sort? are you unable to keep increasing reps/weight each week in the gym?

i do something similar to this every couple of months when i start to see myself stagnate. i do 2-3 sets as opposed to 5-6. i'll feel a little bit more soreness the next day and it seems to kickstart my gains a bit more. try it out but don't hit 5-6 sets as that may be a bit much. and i would stay away from doing this to one body part every single week. only do this if you're not getting any stronger, i.e. if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. and i wouldn't hit any one body part that hard more than once every couple of months or so.

just my 2 cents

Supersizeme,

Actually I was thinking of doing it to keep the "Shock Effect" as an integral part of my routine. I typically measure how good I hit a workout by how sore I am the next day or two. I recently moved to a One day a week per muscle group routine from a 2 day a week routine. I was doing a three day rotation twice a week. Now I'm doing a four day rotation once a week which gives me seven days to recover for each muscle group. I feel softer on this routine. I figured with seven days to recover I would be safe ABSOLUTELY destroying my muscles once a week.

I frequently will change the order in which I perform specific exercises. ie. Doing incline Bench presses first one week and then flat or declines first the next as a method of keeping my muscles "Confused"

I hadn't planned on hitting the same muscle group twice in two weeks.

I had read that you should shock your muscles every 3 to 4 months or keep your routine varied. By doing this I had intended to integrate that "Shock" as part of my plan.

I'm still experimenting though so I'll try it and see how it works for me.

Thanks for the reply though.

Top Bottom