Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

hammer strength vs bench press

NonsoAno

I was wondering which one is better for chest muscle and to develop strength, I know bench press takes more effort but the hammer strength allows you to lift heavier, in my case , on the hammer I can do 280 pounds which would be impossible for me on the bench press, thank you for your opinions.

Hammer strength machines leave you extremely vulnerable. Builds zero tendon strength or connector muscles. Stick with regualar bench and you'll get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with @stevemobster - it is always great to do a bit of everything, since each exercise has its own benefits.

If I had to pick one - free weights

But like @mobster said, doing both makes the most sense. Free weights stimulate your central nervous system and stabilizer muscles better but machines allow you to use more weight

you can do more on the hammer machine for a reason.

if that is all you have access to it is better than nothing. my first gym had just a hammer machine as free weights weren't in there (pussy gym)

but if you want to excel at this you need to stick with bench press first

The best is a variety of exercises but if you can only choose one then always go with free weights like barbell and dumbbell.

This is a topic as old as the sport. The reality of ANY machine work is they don't work the stabilizers and support muscles. Freewweights will. Ergo they give the most bang for the buck.

The PLUS of machine work is less the strength and or weights moved vs actual better isolation and targeting of the muscle it's aimed at. The minus's include, some of which I struggle with, is some machines arer limited with the weight you can load vs a barbell. Some do not suit taller guys.

Top Bottom