x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

Hack squat and normal squat. Whats the difference?

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Hack squat and normal squat. Whats the difference? within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: Hello all! would you be so kind and tell me the difference (in terms of muscle worked). Between machine hack squat and normal squat? They both seem to work legs, similiar angle... etc. Reply please!\ Thanx!

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

SSAlexSS
    Hello all!

would you be so kind and tell me the difference (in terms of muscle worked). Between machine hack squat and normal squat?

They both seem to work legs, similiar angle... etc.

Reply please!\
    Thanx!

Pro Bodybuilder
    It seems to me as though when you go through the full range of motion, the hack tends to work more of the vastus medialis and lateralis muscles. (Those are the ones located around the knees.) The regular squat tends to develop more of the inner and oouter muscles used for stabilization.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    the previous answer sounds correct to me, the free-weight squat definetly requires more balance, and also I think works the glutes, hams more (ATF of course).

those exercises are the foundation of my leg routine:
    4 sets squats
    4 sets hack squats
    3 sets SLDL
    3 sets leg curl

besides the extreme stress placed on the knee when you do hacks...nothing. the free bar squat, however, does involve the lower back, glutes and stabilizer muscles alot.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    "extreme stress on the knees?" maybe I'm young and have a sense of immortality but never have I felt hacks hurting my knees, (and I've had a little discomfort on ATF squats at times)

Originally posted by Valdez:
    maybe I'm young and have a sense of immortality but never have I felt hacks hurting my knees
    you've answered it yourself.

of course it would depend on how you position your feet but most put it so your shins are at right angles with the feet. where is the next joint that receives the stress at? the knee. same with people that do "smith machine" squats with their feet way out in front of them. with freebar squats, the hips take the brunt of the stress and they are more suited to handle it.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    btw bignate73 it is good to see you post on the training board. get some more of the anabolic bullshitters over here!

SSAlexSS
    Originally posted by edgecrusher:
    It seems to me as though when you go through the full range of motion, the hack tends to work more of the vastus medialis and lateralis muscles. (Those are the ones located around the knees.) The regular squat tends to develop more of the inner and oouter muscles used for stabilization.
    Interesting. But does the hack squat work outer quadriceps effectively? At one awesome site it says that hack sqaut warks outer quadriceps.

JavaScript:AniDemoPopup('/gti/exercise/exercise_animated_demo_popup/0,3132,1_di_274,00.html');

and the site is located at http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerci...63,1_,00.html?