Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gym Workout Twice a Day?

MarcoPollo

Hello Folks.

I'm wondering if its anti-muscle building to hit the gym twice a day? I know muscles need to form once they've been put to stress. But if I work out in the morning and hit the workout say, 6 hours later. Well that be enough time for recovery?

I'm an addict to the iron...more addictive than heroin.

Resting is an integral part of working out. If the body cannot rest, it cannot grow.

Doing splits say twice per day is ok but I would not work the same body parts. You should be hitting the muscle groups you are training for that day with 100% intensity in the first workout and call it a day.

I do go to the gym twice per day a few days per week. The second time only involves cardio or a body part that I didn't workout earlier, which is normally abs. I never work the same muscle group twive per day because I know my body hasn't recovered from the first workout.

MarcoPollo said:
Hello Folks.

I'm wondering if its anti-muscle building to hit the gym twice a day? I know muscles need to form once they've been put to stress. But if I work out in the morning and hit the workout say, 6 hours later. Well that be enough time for recovery?

I'm an addict to the iron...more addictive than heroin.

If you want to train with 50% or less intensity, sure.

if you split up your exercises over two workouts it's fine, you could actually hit each exercise with more intensity that way - some olympic lifters do the olympic lifts as a 'morning' workout, then come back in the evening for squats, assistance exercises etc.

assuming you're bodybuilding, you could still split up the exercises for one day into two workouts. i hope you're not training everyday ?

i read a russian training article once and it said they would lift twice a day but sleep a long nap 2 hours or so in betweem and eat like animals.....

If you get proper rest and food then its really not a bad idea. A nap in between is actually very helpful and as long as you hit diff. body part you will be fine. I tried it once just because I was in a hurry with my first workout. Later that day I lifted and I actually did more weight then I would of done earlier.

This is how some olympic athletes train but thats what their whole day is based around so they get proper food and rest.

kiosk said:
i read a russian training article once and it said they would lift twice a day but sleep a long nap 2 hours or so in betweem and eat like animals.....

We train in the AM. Form work, lighter weights, but light is relative to a 5RM. It is on a plan of progression just like any other movements. Most movements are muscle (muscle clean, muscle snatch, atc) rather than dynamic. This is usually a 50% of 5RM load with lower volume than a heavy workout. Usually triples, and maybe 15 reps per exercise. 3-4 exercises plus flexability and posterior chain work.

We train in the PM and work heavy. Some weeks we invert the order. Coach just says what to do when you get to the gym. Most erercises we do 25 reps. Usually 6 exercises, all complex stuff. Depending on where you are in your loading or deloading these days are 60-90% of your 5RM

This is typically 6 days a week. Fairly normal schedule for Weightlifting. I get to eat 3 times in between workouts, but don't get a nap... i wish! I also drink a shake during training. I sleep 9hrs per night.

I am with al420 on this one also. It is very possible to have a great two workout a day type of routine. You just do a light AM workout then come in and do a heavy PM workout. A guy on my team it this way... he says he is a lot more warmed up for his heavy workout if he does the AM one.

For the average goer there is really no reason why you would do two workouts a day other then to split it apart and take up time in your day or to fit a weird schedule that only allows you to workout for 45 minutes two times a day.

Arnold used to work out twice a day for some time....Lower body in the AM, Upper body in the afternoun.

Top Bottom