Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gym Rules - Dropping Dumbbells

The_Monster said:
If youre offended by bent dumbells, maybe you should be training at a "fitness center"? The worst possible bend in a dumbell isnt going to seriously affect it to any degree... the handle isnt long enough to have a bend affect overall stability of it.
Obviously you havent worked with bent dumbells, especially heavy ones. I know it's a short handle, but doesnt mean it cant get bent. And it's bent beyond comfort of use.

cwick0 said:
If you are going to drop the weights, WHICH I DO REGULARLY, you have to learn how to drop them properly as to not bend or break the dbs in half. If they land on one end, that is when they bend/break. However, if they land flat, then they are perfectly fine. I try to ease them down as much as possible, but when im repping the 120's ill be damned if im gonna blow a shoulder out trying to gently set them down. To me, as long as they land flat and dont bend/break them, i could care less.
We all agree there are certain conditions when you can drop the weight and the way you drop it. We're talking about people who just "like" to drop the weights cuz they're dumb and like to show off. "oooo, look at me, I can drop weights". :rolleyes:

yomama said:
We all agree there are certain conditions when you can drop the weight and the way you drop it. We're talking about people who just "like" to drop the weights cuz they're dumb and like to show off. "oooo, look at me, I can drop weights". :rolleyes:

I was just agreeing with your original post.

Saw a friend get his ankle shattered cause some fucknut drop the weight while doing Incline db press. I will never drop them unless injur to myself has occurred. I will set them down quickly if I am tired, my personal habit

yomama said:
Obviously you havent worked with bent dumbells, especially heavy ones. I know it's a short handle, but doesnt mean it cant get bent. And it's bent beyond comfort of use.

Think again.
And Ive worked with dumbell that have been welded so many times that when you set them down your hands bleed from the little bits of weld that are poking from inside of them.
Having built more than adequate stabilizer muscles, I can compensate for some piddly bend in a six inch dumbell handle. Ive squatted close to 700lbs with bent olympic bars, too. You adapt, you position the bar in your hand (or on your back) so that the bend isnt an issue, or you just work with it.

Lord_Suston said:
Saw a friend get his ankle shattered cause some fucknut drop the weight while doing Incline db press. I will never drop them unless injur to myself has occurred. I will set them down quickly if I am tired, my personal habit

If youre close enough to someone doing a working set that you could be hit by a dumbell, you deserve whatever you get. What ever happened to giving people room to do their set?

The_Monster said:
If youre close enough to someone doing a working set that you could be hit by a dumbell, you deserve whatever you get. What ever happened to giving people room to do their set?

He was far enough away, but the db bounced and landed right on his ankle. I don't think he deserved it but maybe I am wrong

Lord_Suston said:
He was far enough away, but the db bounced and landed right on his ankle. I don't think he deserved it but maybe I am wrong

Ehh, crazy things can happen. Nobody "deserves" it, but there is a lack of respect for people lifting a lot of weight... I used to have people pass close enough to my bench that as I came down with the weight I would elbow the dumb fucks... I guess Im bitter? :D

I respect people that can lift a lot, but there comes a point where saftey of fellow lifter should be a concern, and on there part as well.

gymtime said:
Come to my gym and I'll show you how to put those little 100s away with no thud, and no harm to your shoulders. It's not rocket surgery boys, truly. Of course, I'll be using the 120s and 130s :)QUOTE]
Are you saying you use the 130's for db press? If so I call bullshit.

Top Bottom