Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gym Rules - Dropping Dumbbells

mrplunkey said:
Interrupting someone's workout in the name of enforcing any gym rule unless you part of the management team is just rude IMO. Doesn't matter if it's how they handle the weights, how and when they use workout towels with the equipment, the technique they use for lifts, the amount of residual chalk on their lifting straps, etc. etc. If someone asks what you think about any of the above, it's all fair game -- if not, why bother them?

If these weights are crashing so the entire gym can hear, why not assume the gym management would interpret and enforce their own rules their own way?

I said one sentence to this guy between sets. I didn't interrupt anything. The "management" you speak of consisted of three teenagers as it was past 9pm.

Throwing weights is not a "technique". It's lazy and arrogant. I've explained why I chose to break a several year long silence and say something. I'm not going to explain it again.

There are plenty of gyms where this kind of thing is ok. Mine is not one of them. If that's what you need to do for your workout, great. Go to a gym that allows it.

Jesus you guys....this is not difficult. Not everything has to be a fight.

GymTime, I mentioned chalk and loud noises, because you were harping on "posted rules." I was pointing out that just because a rule is posted does not make it valid, and does not mean everyone is going to follow it.
It's like the speed limit. Everyone does not drive the speed limit because it is posted, people try to drive as fast as they can without getting caught. The gym is no different, hardcore lifters try to get away with as much as they can without getting in trouble with the management. You are like the guys that fucking yell at cars that are going 30 down the 25 mph zone street you live on. You have no authority, thus no one should give a fuck what you say or listen to you.
I think the best solution would be for you to open a gym. Run that bitch how you want, and enforce rules that would have the authority to enforce.
Another think, go fuck yourself for trying to put down the weights I lift. Just another cheap shot from an old geezer. You and your generation think that just because you were able to survive to old age give you the right to tell other people what to do.

BlondBomber said:
GymTime, I mentioned chalk and loud noises, because you were harping on "posted rules." I was pointing out that just because a rule is posted does not make it valid, and does not mean everyone is going to follow it.
It's like the speed limit. Everyone does not drive the speed limit because it is posted, people try to drive as fast as they can without getting caught. The gym is no different, hardcore lifters try to get away with as much as they can without getting in trouble with the management. You are like the guys that fucking yell at cars that are going 30 down the 25 mph zone street you live on. You have no authority, thus no one should give a fuck what you say or listen to you.
I think the best solution would be for you to open a gym. Run that bitch how you want, and enforce rules that would have the authority to enforce.
Another think, go fuck yourself for trying to put down the weights I lift. Just another cheap shot from an old geezer. You and your generation think that just because you were able to survive to old age give you the right to tell other people what to do.

Great comeback. *yawn*

YOu're all very tough and scary sitting there at your computer. :rolleyes:

gymtime said:
I said one sentence to this guy between sets. I didn't interrupt anything. The "management" you speak of consisted of three teenagers as it was past 9pm.

Throwing weights is not a "technique". It's lazy and arrogant. I've explained why I chose to break a several year long silence and say something. I'm not going to explain it again.

There are plenty of gyms where this kind of thing is ok. Mine is not one of them. If that's what you need to do for your workout, great. Go to a gym that allows it.

Jesus you guys....this is not difficult. Not everything has to be a fight.
I'm not the one that started the post ragging on people for dropping dumbells :p

mrplunkey said:
I'm not the one that started the post ragging on people for dropping dumbells :p

Yet you chose to post your opinion anyway. I suggest you stop doing that if you're afraid of differing viewpoints.

gymtime said:
Yet you chose to post your opinion anyway. I suggest you stop doing that if you're afraid of differing viewpoints.

Yeah, that part about "Rant over....Comments welcome. Thanks" threw me off!

You know... here's a different perspective. Let's look at this hypothetical. You're in the gym, rolling with your big old 100+ lb dumbells. Beside you is an 18 year old doing 40's with really good technique for 15+ reps. He looks over at you and says:

"Hey gramps, I see you rolling with those big 120 pound dumbells and I have an issue -- I'd like you to drop to 60's and focus on more reps. Those dumbells carry a risk that you'll need shoulder replacement/surgery later in life and as a payer on both the public (medicare) and private (insurance premiums) sides of this issue, I really resent you running that risk. Drop weight, focus on immaculate form and do lots and lots more reps because I don't want to get stuck with part of the bill for YOUR abuse"

What do you say to the guy? As one of these would-be payers, I lose more sleep over having to fund an $18,000+ shoulder replacement than a $100 pound dumbell.

I'll have to check back later btw... got to run downtown and shop for 2 days!

mrplunkey said:
Yeah, that part about "Rant over....Comments welcome. Thanks" threw me off!

You know... here's a different perspective. Let's look at this hypothetical. You're in the gym, rolling with your big old 100+ lb dumbells. Beside you is an 18 year old doing 40's with really good technique for 15+ reps. He looks over at you and says:

"Hey gramps, I see you rolling with those big 120 pound dumbells and I have an issue -- I'd like you to drop to 60's and focus on more reps. Those dumbells carry a risk that you'll need shoulder replacement/surgery later in life and as a payer on both the public (medicare) and private (insurance premiums) sides of this issue, I really resent you running that risk. Drop weight, focus on immaculate form and do lots and lots more reps because I don't want to get stuck with part of the bill for YOUR abuse"

What do you say to the guy? As one of these would-be payers, I lose more sleep over having to fund an $18,000+ shoulder replacement than a $100 pound dumbell.

I'll have to check back later btw... got to run downtown and shop for 2 days!

I'd do exactly what you would do. Probably take him out back and teach him some manners :).

Happy shopping.

There is truly no need to drop weights...be it 5 or 500lb bells...........gotta learn how to prop them against your knees and propel yourself forward.....no injury.

Well what did you expect to happen?
Think what you said to him.
"Dude you keep dropping those weights, they'll throw you right out of here."
Weather you ment you or the management would do it, thats a threat. Nobody would reacts favourably to them. What did you think was going to happen?

Top Bottom