Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Guys wearing weight belts no matter what exercise.....

yomama said:
I mean, on like the last few reps, the lower back will give up and arch. So that's why the belt is nesesary.

This is the result of inflexibility and weakness. If you cover up the problem with a belt, your injury will only be that much worse.

gymtime said:
Alright. So what if your back problem is not a muscular problem, but a disc problem? Or some other spinal problem. Then what?

FYI, those are muscular problems.

Do you know that your body has a natural weight belt (transverse abdominus)? And that all you're doing by using an artificial one is ensuring further weakness and dysfunction?

I love it. People on the outside don't realize how cerebral lifting is, and this just bolsters my point. Something as simple as a weight belt can get numerous posts and a wide range of opinions. I said it once and i'll say it again, no mag on the planet can compare to this place.

funny how some of you compare bodybuilders and powerlifters and make such stereotypical statements about the people in each sport.. "oh bodybuilders are weak and big for nothing" "powerlifters are strong but have no definition" blah blah blah... only people that make these statements don't know the true essence of each sport..many true and humble athletes in each sport don't make such comments..in actuality a lot times incorporate each others type of training to make gains.. especially when you see a lot of bodybuilders training like powerlifters on the offseason...

as for belts... to each there own..

I don't hate, just educate.

Royster said:
you see thats the problem with bodybuilders. They go to get "in shape" or "get muscle". They have lost the real sense of weightlifting, which is to get stronger. Simply put, if you are lifting to get big or buffed or in shape, you aint lifting for real, and must as well go and play some chess whilst doing your barbell curls.
It is imperative to have a strong lower back, much more so than bulging biceps, for a fact, a strong core comes before bulging extremeties (or whatever is the latest bodybuilding fashioned bodypart), which means that a squat over 400 shouldnt be very difficult for a guy who has been lifting for a few years.

If you are not putting up a 400 plus squat or 500 plus deadlift, then the only time I see wearing a belt is for 1RM attempts, mainly because when you max out you stress the ligaments and tendons more than any other time. Other than tha, forget about the belt, plus 95% of the people that use it, do so to look powerful and impress people (they need a belt because they are going to lift such a huge weight they risk breaking their back) or because they simply are pussies who are scared to deadlift bodyweight.

We get it, you're a powerlifter.

Bodybuilders and powerlifters have different goals. To tell one or the other that what they're doing isn't really lifting weights is asinine. Tell the bb'er who just finished a 315x20 set of squats that what he's doing isn't really lifting while you do your cute little singles.

That said, I am very anti-belt unless you absolutely need to use one as in the case with people who have had hernias.

Perceptionist said:
funny how some of you compare bodybuilders and powerlifters and make such stereotypical statements about the people in each sport.. "oh bodybuilders are weak and big for nothing" "powerlifters are strong but have no definition" blah blah blah... only people that make these statements don't know the true essence of each sport..many true and humble athletes in each sport don't make such comments..in actuality a lot times incorporate each others type of training to make gains.. especially when you see a lot of bodybuilders training like powerlifters on the offseason...

as for belts... to each there own..

I don't hate, just educate.
thanx , I couldnt have said better. FYI , I WEAR A BELT and I put it on when I get to my body weight 240. I'm not a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but I train like both and I'M JUST AS STRONG OR STRONGER than most of you that aprofess to be powerlifters. The back is a fragile instrument and is not meant to carry excess loads such as we are describing, especially during squats,deads,curling and benching. There is nothing wrong with being careful and protecting the lower back region. Who says that wearing a belt diminishes core strength ........that a bunch of shit. Heres a brief glance of my current stats: 6'2ft 240lb 10%fat 31yr.old /4 yr serious training...oh and drug free,just creatine and good old steak and potatoes
ez curl preacher/ 210 1x6 ,1x4
deads(full)/ 660 1x6, 1x4
front squat (free weight) not the smith machine(ass to heels baby)/460 2x6
full squat/625 2x6
flat bench/495 2x6
ab crunch machine/250(entire stack) plus 45lb plate
yeah right....... my core strength is steadily diminishing as I'm typing this :p

cockdesiel said:
thanx , I couldnt have said better. FYI , I WEAR A BELT and I put it on when I get to my body weight 240. I'm not a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but I train like both and I'M JUST AS STRONG OR STRONGER than most of you that aprofess to be powerlifters. The back is a fragile instrument and is not meant to carry excess loads such as we are describing, especially during squats,deads,curling and benching. There is nothing wrong with being careful and protecting the lower back region. Who says that wearing a belt diminishes core strength ........that a bunch of shit. Heres a brief glance of my current stats: 6'2ft 240lb 10%fat 31yr.old /4 yr serious training...oh and drug free,just creatine and good old steak and potatoes
ez curl preacher/ 210 1x6 ,1x4
deads(full)/ 660 1x6, 1x4
front squat (free weight) not the smith machine(ass to heels baby)/460 2x6
full squat/625 2x6
flat bench/495 2x6
ab crunch machine/250(entire stack) plus 45lb plate
yeah right....... my core strength is steadily diminishing as I'm typing this :p

Out of curiousity, where did you find that the back is a "fragile instrument" not meant to handle heavy loads. Is there any specific medical journal or did I miss out on the commen sense bus. In truth your lifts are very impressive and you've no doubt put a lot of time into achieving them.

Top Bottom