Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Got a personal trainer

I had a bad experience w/ trainers at 24 hour too. Oh well thats how you learn though. He was nice too I bought a friend! (expensive friend) hee hee.

Big Nate- How do you get to be a personal trainer? I know there's a certification process but do you not agree that it's hard to take fitness advice from someone that is obviously 50 lbs overweight? At the club I attend, I've yet to see a personal trainer that is in shape. I know that's kind of stereo-typing but that's what most people think. I'll follow your advice though and see who's best with others....thanks!

its a combination of experience & education. I wouldnt hire a trainer under 30 y.o. & they must have a Kinesology degree & competed in bodybuilding or powerlifting.

the PT certificate programs are a joke imo...Ive seen the questions & even I could pass it!! LOL!!

Most of the personal trainers at the gym I attend are 20 something's and "chunky"....the trainer I had the bad experience with in padding BF #'s didn't even know what HIIT was because I told him that's what I was most interested in...sheesh!

supermom:
i agree, you should walk the walk as a trainer, if you are going to talk the talk. 50lbs overweight is ridiculous.

supermom said:

did you describe it as "HIIT" or interval training?

many times colloquial terms are not universal.

as for certification process, it depends on the trainer. for 24 hour there is a universal process, ie a 40 hour training course. thats just to get in the door. to increase your pay rate, you have to either be degreed, certified by a nationally recognized organization (ACE,NASM,ISSA,NSCA etc.) or have 2 years experience.

chances are you got a new trainer. often times they are the ones doing free bodyfat for people. i dont "donate" my time to the club. if someone wants to sit down with me and talk, we will sit down and talk. i dont feel i have to justify my services with someone by scaring them with their own physical stats or belittling them with how little they know about fitness.

the PT certificate programs are a joke imo...Ive seen the questions & even I could pass it!!

everyone says that. what do they say? "etc. etc. .....til you walk in his shoes."

BigNate-
You "sound" like the kind of personal trainer I would love! I'm so mad that I had such a bad first experience because I have so much to learn and would like to be taught by an experienced personal trainer that's not gonna BS me....you know? Yes, I mentioned HIIT and he didn't understand...then I mentioned interval training and he asked if I was a marathon runner (?)...Do you know of any trainers in the Dallas area?

supermom said:
Do you know of any trainers in the Dallas area?

no, i dont. its such a big company, i can barely keep track of trainers at other clubs.

the thing you will find out: the good trainers are their own businesses. the ones you encounter, as you described, are generally new ones. inexperienced or not busy.

instead of allowing them to interview you, you interview them! just like they are applying for a job, because basically they are. find out credentials, diversities of training methods, their background (athlete, bodybuilder etc.) this will give you insight into what you can expect.

pm me anytime if you have specific questions or talk to a trainer and need input before you make a decision.

I just wanted to hop in here, hope you don't mind. I have a trainer that put my program together. He has competed himself, but dosen't have a degree. I have great results in my body. He really really pushes me to a area that I can't get to by myself. I have learned alot from him and have made some great improvements.

I find that some women trainers just don't give you what you need if you are looking to gain muscle and mass. The pink weights just don't get it. Make sure they are giving you what YOU want and not what they think women need!!

Keep working hard!!!

I was going to be a personal trainer but I was told by one of the trainers in my gym that they prefer younger people as trainers. I've seen the younger trainers they have at my gym - I wouldn't train with them for free. All young, never smile, no enthusiasm, and spend 1/2 their time bullshitting about their weekend or day's events. I don't know about you, but if I pay for a trainer no. 1 they have to look like they work out, want to push me to the limit, be enthusiastic and make me want to come back again. Yesterday, I was helping someone work out - pushing her to the limit, showing her new exercises, explaining things - one of the trainers said I should have gotten paid for that session! I said too bad they won;t hire me - they are really missing out on a good trainer. But I think age means more than anything else to them -

Top Bottom