Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Good results from light weights?

bettingman11

Unfortunately I have only access to a 30lb dumbells so all my workouts are high rep high intensity. Can I get strong this way without 100's of lbs of weight ? I work on a shipping tanker so option are limited.

You've made a career choice. One which, I'd hope, pays well. With that choice came the lack of access to a full spectrum of training kit. It is what it is. No one became Mr O on a pair of 30lb dumbbells. But vs not training at all you're miles ahead.

You've made a career choice. One which, I'd hope, pays well. With that choice came the lack of access to a full spectrum of training kit. It is what it is. No one became Mr O on a pair of 30lb dumbbells. But vs not training at all you're miles ahead.

my thoughts exactly

i also made a career choice which is a desk job on my ass 14 hours a day.. it resulted in chronic neck pain which effects my life. it is something i have to work on and it affects my training.

oh well gotta pay the $$$$

i don't have a trust fund from mommy and daddy like some other guys

i read a recent study. (i will reference it later if i can find) that had 2 groups. 1 at low rep range and heavier weights, the orher lighter at higher rep ranges, if my memory serves me well, really high. like 20-30’s. to really simplify the findings- if the intensity and relative volume is a “constant” so much as that’s possible, the muscle mass gained was comparable. what was NOT comparable was strength gains. makes sense I guess. so depends on your goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i read a recent study. (i will reference it later if i can find) that had 2 groups. 1 at low rep range and heavier weights, the orher lighter at higher rep ranges, if my memory serves me well, really high. like 20-30’s. to really simplify the findings- if the intensity and relative volume is a “constant” so much as that’s possible, the muscle mass gained was comparable. what was NOT comparable was strength gains. makes sense I guess. so depends on your goals.

I've seen references to the volume stuff often. It's all relative. The issue here is a fixed load (30lbs) which cannot be changed. Plus once you get past a set number of reps you're into endurance.

Career choices, as Steve and I state (and a bunch of other factors called 'life') can easily get in the way. Back when I worked like a mofo I only maintained on 2 sessions a week. The money came, the muscle stayed as was. Such are our choices and such is life.

I've seen references to the volume stuff often. It's all relative. The issue here is a fixed load (30lbs) which cannot be changed. Plus once you get past a set number of reps you're into endurance.

Career choices, as Steve and I state (and a bunch of other factors called 'life') can easily get in the way. Back when I worked like a mofo I only maintained on 2 sessions a week. The money came, the muscle stayed as was. Such are our choices and such is life.

RIGHT! I think the load for both groups was progressive. not fixed. good catch. Ill try to find the study. It was surprising.

RIGHT! I think the load for both groups was progressive. not fixed. good catch. Ill try to find the study. It was surprising.

There's been a bunch over the years but all with variable load.

You will be able to build a lean and tight physique with low weight high rep training (think the physique of a boxer) - but in order to build big muscles you will need heavier weights.

Maybe try to find a gym to do a drop in when the ship docks?

bodyweight can be heavy-
get a buddy to stack heavy shit on your back or lay /sit on your back for pushups
do shoulder presses in a handstand against a wall. 1 arm pushups. lay heavy stuff on back for a weighted plank. find 2 heavy chairs or something and do delt raises, bi curls. get under a table grab the edges with something heavy on your chest & do a reverse row. hold something heavy and do a pistol squat. search youtube. have to be creative.

Top Bottom