Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Good bench article by George Halbert (733 bench at 215 bodyweight!)

BodybuildingUniverse

Plat Hero
Platinum
Kickstarting your bench!
Is your bench press stuck in a rut? Have you attacked your bench press at every conceivable angle with every conceivable exercise only to be denied any progress? Well there may be a very simple answer you are either unfamiliar with or are just overlooking. What is the answer — SPEED!
On more than one occasion I have witnessed firsthand the elixir of stagnation, the speed workout.
How does the speed workout work? Simply, take your maximum on the bench press and multiply this poundage by 65 percent. This number you have calculated will be your workout weight.
Now to start your workout warm up in the bench press and then start your speed workout.
You will perform nine sets of three repetitions. Your first three sets will be close grip, your second three sets will be medium grip and your last three sets will be wide grip. You will want to rest one minute in between sets. Your whole mindset should be centered on speed, speed on the descent, ballistic turnaround time( that means no pausing) and speed with acceleration on the ascent.
Simple enough.
Here is a look at a sample workout for someone trying to bench 325 or so:
An example speed routine for a 300-pound bencher looking to put on about 25 pounds in 6 weeks. Take 300 and multiply by 65 percent which gives you 195-pounds. Now for your speed sets use 195 for your 9 sets of 3. In 6 weeks when you remax for your next cycle you will need to recalculate your workout weight. It's that simple.
An example of some assistance work after could be 3 sets of 8 dumbbell military presses followed by triceps extensions for 2 sets of 12 and finish with hammer curls for 3 sets of 10.
Sounds easy but here are some points you should consider. You need to have extremely tight form and don't want to get loose. Remember although you are not using maximum poundages that F=MA(force equals mass times acceleration), which means you will be generating maximum levels of force and torque on your muscles. Although I say lift cautiously you must still go all out speed so a fine balance between caution and all out must be maintained. Another point is the term speed doesn't refer to the time between sets(only a minute), but to the actual movement of the bar.
I remember the first time I tried this workout I misunderstood this basic concept and thought the speed workout was a waste of time. However, after several years of training with the best in the business and 10 world records later I realize that speed was the key to unlocking my potential and continues to allow me to become stronger. Another problem I have seen with the speed work
Follow your speed benches with three assistance exercises. Your assistance work should be done on any of the following muscles: chest, triceps, lats, shoulders,biceps or forearms. Do 2-3 worksets for these exercises using whatever repetition scheme you feel is necessary. You should start your assistance work with your weakest exercises and finish with your best.
Your entire workout should be no longer than 1 hour. You should use the speed bench workout every other bench workout in conjunction with what you are currently doing.
I use maximum effort as my other day(more on this at a later date) but my main objective is maximum strength and not muscle size or definition so adjust your second workout to your specific goals. Believe me the speed workout in itself is enough to rejuvenate your bench press progress.
So remember think faster, faster, faster.
For more on the bench press order George's instructional bench press video To Master the Bench Press for 44.95 plus 5.00 S&H send check or money order to George Halbert @ 3063 Noelle Court, Columbus Ohio 43232.
bbuniv1.jpg

Just tried this routine, son't think i went heavy enuff but I will next time, otherwise it does tire you out.

Thanks Heavywear this is a great article. Keep posting things like this. My bench has been going back up quickly since my lay off of heavy training but every little thing helps.

Cheers,
Scotsman

George is a true freak of nature, truely. His speed and explosive power, along with his speed can not be imagined by anyone who has not seen him warm up for a max bench effort.

THis is similar ot WestSides Dynamic Effort Bench Day, in westside us use 54% (60% with bands), same three grips concenterate on getting te weight up as fast as possible.

The weight should not be heavy. Remeber your working on speed.

He is not talking about dropping the weight and then blowing in up is he?....I would think lowering the weight ..then be explosive ...but to just let it fall ( basically) with no negative effort....does this really help you get stronger...or am I reading it wrong?

Deepsquat said:
He is not talking about dropping the weight and then blowing in up is he?....I would think lowering the weight ..then be explosive ...but to just let it fall ( basically) with no negative effort....does this really help you get stronger...or am I reading it wrong?

this is kinda why the metal militia guys don't do speed work. their style doesn't implement speed. they lower the bar slow and it goes up a little bit faster than it came down. westside guys lower it fast then explode up. if you lower it slowly, the rebound/speed effect that you're hoping to get from training probably isn't really utilized.

i think there's too many people that train with speed days when it really might not work for their particular style of benching.

(the first paragraph of this post was about an interview that a guy from bb.com did with a guy from MM and a guy from westside)

Deepsquat said:

Not stronger.....but stronger through being faster and more co-ordinated

Top Bottom