Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

going from smith squat to normal squat

i only got to 65 kg including the bar (which is 20 i think ?standard olypic bar)

felt really odd, as the m,uscles i usually use to squat felt fine and dandy, but different muscles which make up my quads felt really smashed, more on the outer parts. enough to make me sweat :)

but

i feel i am leaning to far foward. how far foward is not good. the last time idid ATF on a smith my chest virtually touched my knees and i strained my coccix (stop laughing!!!)...so thats too much i take it. but as hard as i tried *and as wierd as i looked) i couldnt keep my back very straight, i had to lean foward. any ideas.

i asked one guy at the gym, he said 'look up' which helps. but then again he said dont go parfallel, go like a few inches down, so there ya go. also he advocated holding the bar at the base of ur neck ( i always used th divot in my back just below it as i tghoght less strain on the spine and all that)....so not sure. i can lean foward a little, should i make sure my back doesnt arch by tighteniong the abs? and also when leaning foward i felt a tiny twinge on my ligaments near the coccix. not much, 6 monyhs ago i would never have felt it, but i have developed more ability to listen to me body since lifting

sorry about the length and the bumpola but any ideas? thanx

(oh and btw when i was squatting the guy said look upwards, never down. while doing it he pity his yhands near my hips (spotting?)....all i though was adabize, Oz and a very sore arse. innocent though!)

I think looking up might be a good idea. Find a mark on the wall, and stare at it. I really think you should drop the weight as much as you have to until your form is perfect. Even if you're only squatting 80 lbs, it's more important to do it properly. When you get used to the motion, you can increase the weight. One thing to remember about squats is that they'll make you, or break you, so don't worry how you look doing light squats.

Danielson,
Looking up is good advice. I dont mean stare at the ceiling but as Jack Holmes said pick a spot and stare at it as you lift. It helps you to keep your back in the right position. If you look down your back will round and that probably isnt a good thing if you have weight on your shoulders !!

I wouldnt rest the bar at the base of the neck....when you start using big weights that will get dangerous. Hold it a bit further down at least (I put it across my rear delts).

You should be holding your whole torso tight. That means the whole of your back, abs, the works.....

As far as leaning forward goes, you need to try to keep the weight directly above your heels. So lean as much as you need to to do that. If you lean too far your body will try to tip forward. Not far enough and you go backwards. Provided your upper body is tight this shouldnt be a problem. If your legs are long relative to your torso, you might want to widen your stance a bit to decrease the extent of the lean.

I think that you should at least hit parallel......I'm not sold on ATF squats. I have to use quite a wide stance and they hurt my knees (something other wide stance squatters have also told me about). No doubt somebody will want to tell me I am wrong on that :)

Imnotdutch said:
Danielson,).

You should be holding your whole torso tight. That means the whole of your back, abs, the works.....

As far as leaning forward goes, you need to try to keep the weight directly above your heels. So lean as much as you need to to do that. If you lean too far your body will try to tip forward. Not far enough and you go backwards. Provided your upper body is tight this shouldnt be a problem. If your legs are long relative to your torso, you might want to widen your stance a bit to decrease the extent of the lean.

perfect...

thats good news, because trying to keep my back completely vertical was impossible!. i will go parralel, got to get those glutes and hips into a strength position :)

and jack holmes thanx for the reply. i take comfort in the fact that i (not very big) at least lift more tan some of the guys there, so screw em if i look like a retard :)

i think the biggest problem you'll have t first is balance,but after a wile you 'll get used to it and be fine.

Top Bottom