Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gloves, straps or chalk?

I started no gloves/straps until my deadlift went beyond my grip strength

I just recently added gloves and can't say how I feel about them...my grip was better for sure but I wound up with blisters UNDER my callouses..which made me whine
the idea of straps kind of freaks me out because I tend to bite off more than I can chew and if I wanna lose the weight fast Im not sure how well thats gonna work out for me

I can be a sissy cuz Im a girl...jus sayin

I've only ever used chalk for rock climbing...seems like it would make my particular problem worse

I don't know what you heavyweights are dead lifting, but at 19 YO I can pull over 500lbs. and my grip is no where near a limiting factor, I use chalk. I also have sissy wrists and a hand size that rivals that of a baby's fist.

It not an excuse to say that the "enormous" weight your pulling makes it so that you "need" to use some kind of grip accessory besides chalk. If your pulling heavy reps on a consistent basis there is no reason why your grip is not catching up to the weight the rest of your body can pull.

I'm siding with Steve on this one, if you can't pick it up off the ground without using gloves or straps, than you can't lift it. Same goes for pull ups, I see people using straps on pull ups as well, your only robbing yourself of beastly grip development using shortcuts.

I got mean calluses that girls think are gross, but I keep them filed down. Aside from that singular aesthetic disadvantage, lifting heavy weights without gloves will benefit everything from handshakes to fighting. Being able to put a solid grip on something you are trying to exert a force on is paramount. This goes back to having a strong foundation.

I use both straps and gloves. Gloves keeps my hands from cracking and not having hands like sandpaper.
And straps well I am a bodybuilder not a powerlifter. My hands will give out long before I fatigue the muscle group enough.

And I am not a sissy cause I use gloves. When your over 200lbs at 5'7" on stage then you can call me a sissy.

I didnt mean to personally offend anyone. I do agree with bb using straps for back work as the allow you to focus on muscle development. It will significantly.hinder grip strength and that really doesnt matter to a bb. If your dropping a dl because your grip is weak than you shouldnt be wearing straps. I use my bear hands all the way up to mid 600s and only use chalk when I get around 700 or above, and I never drop dead lifts.As far as the gloves go, they have no place in the gym imo.Men are supposed to have rough hands.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EliteFitness

I don't know what you heavyweights are dead lifting, but at 19 YO I can pull over 500lbs. and my grip is no where near a limiting factor, I use chalk. I also have sissy wrists and a hand size that rivals that of a baby's fist.

It not an excuse to say that the "enormous" weight your pulling makes it so that you "need" to use some kind of grip accessory besides chalk. If your pulling heavy reps on a consistent basis there is no reason why your grip is not catching up to the weight the rest of your body can pull.

I'm siding with Steve on this one, if you can't pick it up off the ground without using gloves or straps, than you can't lift it. Same goes for pull ups, I see people using straps on pull ups as well, your only robbing yourself of beastly grip development using shortcuts.

I got mean calluses that girls think are gross, but I keep them filed down. Aside from that singular aesthetic disadvantage, lifting heavy weights without gloves will benefit everything from handshakes to fighting. Being able to put a solid grip on something you are trying to exert a force on is paramount. This goes back to having a strong foundation.

I fuckin love this kid!

good points above.

i will clarify if you are in a powerlifting competition then by all means use every advantage necessary. but shit as a bodybuilder you don't want to get used to a weak grip, can really cost you your forearm and wrist development.

also to mike don't worry as you get older girls will look at your calouses and know you actually workout (and don't just claim to) and they will like that about you. the younger chicks are still in that 'cute guy' phase. women might not admit it but they would rather screw a blue collar sweaty muscled guy with little money over a rich suit wearing wuss who has soft hands. (atleast the straight and mature ones).. bottom line is if a chick isn't willing to be understanding as to why you have callouses and support your lifting then she isn't the right one for you anyway.

Haha don't get me wrong, I said girls think my calluses are gross, doesn't mean I'm not getting it anyways : ).

Thanks for the words of wisdom, it's good knowing that soon I will no longer have to explain why my hands look like I stuck them in a piranha tank

THIS. When i started getting excessive on pullups/muscleups, my callus situation got out of control. Filing them down after showering and taking care of them will not only keep your hands looking better, but it will prevent pinched calluses, which will keep you out of the game for two weeks. Trust me this is not a fun situation to be in when your hand rips open. If you have a blister starting to form under a callus, you might have let it get too big. Invest in an emery board or some type of file and maintain your hands.

Hand info cut and paste: fitbomb.com/2011/09/crossfit-hand-care.html

Go to Bigbackgrips.com

Best $5 I have ever spent; use them on every single exercise! Trust me they are great

Chalk.

I can't imagine ever wearing gloves...ever. Straps if they are allowed in a contest.

We use lots of chalk in my gym...all part of being awesome! We also bleed, consume mass calories, and lift very heavy objects.

Embrace the fact that you have hands like a man.

Top Bottom