Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Getting past plateau for squats

MsBeverlyHills

most of you guys are very experienced squatters-- so how do get your numbers up w/o sacrificing form??? My last set-- 185lbs for 3-5 reps-- but when I add even as low as 5lb plates to the bar-- my form breaks down & its more of a partial squat--

any advice??? thanks :)

My squat was stagnant for a loooong time until I started paying attention to my lower back... could that be the case with you?

lower the weight, 70-75% of 1RM and crank up the volume, move the bar fast.
Do only triples, lots of sets (5 to 10), watch your strength rise :)

moderate weighst keeps form tight and smooth, fast speed creates high tension in the muscles, high volume creates stimulus and groove perfection.

something in your body is weak, which is holding you back. you must find out what it is, make it stronger, and your weights will go up again.

You could just be burned out.

I would advise you to take 1 week off, and then start at about 150 lbs for 5 reps. Add 10 lbs each session till you hit failure at 5 reps. Then break out the 2.5 lb plates. Then when you can't hit 5 reps without failing, use smaller plates (add 1 lb to each side).

These can be purchased at http://www.fractionalplates.com

10 lbs is way too much to try and add if you're already failing. Even 5 lbs is most of the time.

box squats- how does that help w/increasing weight???? you still have to go low enough to get your butt down to the box-- or are the boxes higher than a below paralell squat??

you can do high box squats,

but what they mean is this.......... box squats are harder than regular squatting. so you have to lower your weight and work on form and sitting on the box, breaks up the postive, and negative motion, providing you with more reversal, absoulte strength when returning to normal squatting.

X

Liftbig said:
something in your body is weak, which is holding you back. you must find out what it is, make it stronger, and your weights will go up again.

Exactly. This is why we train partials. Partials help you identify your weak link so you can destroy it. Where are you failing?

Also, the thing that has raised my squat the most is the Goodmorning. I don't squat that often. I do a low box squat occasionally, and I do speed squats on a box once a week for 8 sets of 2. That's it. I use moves like GMs, partial deads, Dimels, etc...to increase my squat.

If you are squatting with your quads and knees (ouch) you are going to reach a cap much faster than if you're using your back, glutes/hips/ hams, etc...they are more, and bigger, and more powerful muscles. Recruit them, and your numbers will take off.

Top Bottom