Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Getting over a plateau

pectoris

Hi folks!

I'm currently pressing 275 (max) and I can do 3*8 sets with 220. I used 230 during winter time and I'd like to get past that before summer.

My motivation was a bit down for a couple of months, but my spirits are up right now, so i'm ready to add more weight. What kind of sets do you suggest that I should do to get over my current plateau in bench? My speed has slowed down a bit, so I was thinking of adding more speed exercises (3*4 lighter weight, 2*2 80% max), whadd'ya think?

Comments greatly appreciated !

:fro:

pectoris said:
Hi folks!

I'm currently pressing 275 (max) and I can do 3*8 sets with 220. I used 230 during winter time and I'd like to get past that before summer.

My motivation was a bit down for a couple of months, but my spirits are up right now, so i'm ready to add more weight. What kind of sets do you suggest that I should do to get over my current plateau in bench? My speed has slowed down a bit, so I was thinking of adding more speed exercises (3*4 lighter weight, 2*2 80% max), whadd'ya think?

Comments greatly appreciated !

:fro:

Add a light day for chest:

8 sets of 3 reps with 165. Move the bar thru ROM as quickly as you can.

Add an alternate chest exercise - floor press board press, close grip etc.

Bench will jump at last 10 pounds in a coouple weeks.

You could probably get more responces by posting this question on the powerlifting borad. Not saying that the people that post on here don't know hot to get bigger #'s, most are BB, not PL.

Change the set volume instead of doing 3 set of eight try something like 4 sets of
135 for 8
205 for 10
225 for 8
and 245 for 5-6
if any of these gets easy, like you going over the reps add some weight like 5-10lbs, 275 won't seem like such a jump from a weight of 250 for 8 now would it...

Many valid suggestions... I have become a fan of fractional plates; adding really small plates (like 1 pound) to the bar each week. 10 solid pounds in 10 weeks aint bad. 50 pounds over the course of one year is even better!

dumbbells

dumbells dumbbells dumbells Try adding a couple of set of 6-8 reps of heavy dumbell bench press to your chest workout. Your strenght will jump in a week or two. Go as deep as possible with the dumbells and really feel the strech. Be carefull of a pec tear, go slow and deep

PEACE

Brooklynboy
[email protected]

Thanks!

Aight,

thanks for the good suggestions!

I do do various different chest exercises (dumbells in different angles etc.), I was mostly looking for the sets that you guys prefer in adding speed.

i've been ignoring speed in general when doing different exercises and it's totally my own fault that my set weights have come down a bit. I just need to get motivated and angry again :destroy:

Happy training!

Top Bottom