Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Getting the most from my limited gym time

JWBurns

Ok, I understand that this is a fairly broad question, but a buddy and I got into a debate over weightlifting.

Due to a new work schedule, I'm down to three lift days a week. What I'd like to know is, What is more effective for building strength and size?

Working out one body part a week, lifting heavy, and doing multiple sets to target that particular body part..

Or working out one body part 3 times a week, lifting heavy, and doing two sets to target that particular body part?

I want to be able to make the most of my time, and get an effective workout in at the same time.

you could do madcow's 5x5. You only train 3 days a week, usually Monday Wednesday Friday and its great for strength and size

I only train three days per week. It's enough for me to grow and get stronger.

You need to think of training lifts, not body parts to get the most bang for your buck. Training economy is where it's at.

Upper lower splits or total body splits are the way to go here,

I can throw out some ideas for upper/lower or total body splits if you'd like.

You have to see what works for you.. Everyone is honestly different.. My best advice is try many differnt styles and see what works for you..

the first strategy is like what I do but I alernate every 4 days. so I am essentially working out each body part 2X per week. and I go balls to the wall. i mean 12-20 sets. as my workout goes on I get more and more intense

its worked amazing for me.

however for you it may not.. this is where experience comes into play to find out your best routine. i used to do more circuit training 2-3 sets per bodypart and my results were subpar.

I'm in same boat brother with both of my sons in t-ball and baseball and working 10 hr shifts, it;s becoming hard to do both cardio and lifting.

Ok, I understand that this is a fairly broad question, but a buddy and I got into a debate over weightlifting.

Due to a new work schedule, I'm down to three lift days a week. What I'd like to know is, What is more effective for building strength and size?

Working out one body part a week, lifting heavy, and doing multiple sets to target that particular body part..

Or working out one body part 3 times a week, lifting heavy, and doing two sets to target that particular body part?

I want to be able to make the most of my time, and get an effective workout in at the same time.

Not a fan of circuit training, mainly b/c it doesn't fit the goals for my body. You have to find out what works best for your body, but doing a split like Legs/Arms(if you want to hit arms twice a week), Chest/Shoulders, Back/Arms and go heavy would probably work well.

I mentioned hitting arm's twice a week(technically it's 3 times a week since your other movements work them too), this method works fine for me, it may not for others. Assuming your work schedule is putting you in the gym Monday, Wednesday, Friday .. recovery time should be enough if you have nutrition in check.

+1 to lookin at a 5x5. thats what i use as time is limited. i do also modify it slightly to how i respond to things. just because madcow or bill star write a program dont mean its set in stone. certain days i do 5x5, like the day i up my weights. on days i dont up weights sometimes i go for 8-10 reps instead of 5

Top Bottom