Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

German Volume Training

wiseachoo

I just saw an article on 'German Volume Training' http://www.leehayward.com/art24.htm

I have never heard of this before and was debating changing to this style for a few weeks to give my body a taste of a new routine. Has anyone here used this 10 rep for 10 set idea with any success? It seems so far off in left field (imagine benching 100 times in 1 routine)...wouldn't that 'tone' more than 'build'?

My typical bench count goes something like this while upping the weight each time.

10 reps
8 reps
6 reps
5 reps
3 reps
1 rep

This is only 33 reps as opposed to 100 reps :p Another concern is time, I don't think I'd have the time to do 100 reps of everything :)

I did about 8 weeks of GVT when Polquin first published his article about it in '94 or '95. I made the most phenomnal gains I ever made on a training program in my life... probably 7-8 lbs of quality muscle without drugs... and my strength went through the roof.

The GVT program that Polquin described was broken down into 3 8 week portions. I got great results off teh first one... but nothing off the next two. I think GVT can work great for you... but maybe only once. If it gave people that jump in muscle mass every time... everybody would use it all the time.

My guess is it has to do with whether or not you been working the fast twitch or the slow twitch muscle fibers. We all get stuck in the logic that we know what we are doing when we design our routines... hence our ignorance keeps us repeating the same mistakes... neglecting the same things... etc... (This is why periodically I ask somebody ELSE to design my routine... then I try to follw what they suggest and see how it works.... and if I learn something.)

I tried it and actually lost size and strength, but it seems to work for some

I thought yopu were supposed to do 4 different exercises instead of just one so fo rchest it would look like this:
3x10 flat bench
3x10 incline
3x10 decline
1x10 flat fly
I think that is what i read in Poloquin's article

Top Bottom