Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gaining mass for quads with these machines?

Jeff Brown

The old gym I used to go to had two quad machines but you loaded them with free weights.

This one:
9c9ffebea82f5c29d946cfe61ec0cda3.jpg

and this one:
the-top-4-leg-day-machine-exercises-v2-MUSCLETECH-2b-700xh.jpg

Only two exercises I did for my quads and glutes and I was able to make rapid gains. My legs got swole because of these two exercises, along with hamstring and calve exercises.
After doing these two I'd feel wrecked. I'd have to lie down for a few minutes before moving on to hams and calves.
The next day my legs would be SORE. I'd squat to get something off the floor and it'd be difficult to get back up again. Of course, once I was training regularly it was never that severe, but I'd always have a good feeling of soreness the next day.

Anyways, my new gym doesn't have these.
But they have this one:
Man-on-leg-press-machine.jpg
Doing this just feels weird. I don't feel like I get a good workout with this one as the movement feels awkward. It doesn't feel like a basic leg press like the first two for some reason. Is it good for mass gaining and I just need to get used to it?

The other one I don't have a picture of but it's like a combination of the first two, but you push the weight with your legs parallel to the floor instead of up. And you insert a pin to increase the weight. This one feels like the same range of motion as the one's I used to do. I get a burn and work-to-failure with it, but it doesn't have me feeling wrecked afterwards and I don't even feel sore the next day.

Should I stick with one or both of these? Or should I just skip them and do squats with a barbell and a rack? I tried that starting out, as I'd never done them before and I didn't feel anything in my glutes but a little in my quads.

Thanks for any advice.

You should incorporate actual barbell squats as there are a lot of stabilizers you are training with just linearnleg press. The weight stack cable version are pretty awful though, I do agree.

@SteveMobsterG
@PON
It's a Cybex Galileo Leg Press
f9afe842c52445f791425f90c3bbbcc2.jpg

I'll try the barbell squats this week. Is there another quad/glutes exercise that puts on mass? Or will one be enough?

And thanks for the advice. It felt weird that those little plates would be enough to stimulate the muscle. I would used to push four 45 plates on each side of the good leg press.

@SteveMobsterG
@PON
It's a Cybex Galileo Leg Press
View attachment 140317

I'll try the barbell squats this week. Is there another quad/glutes exercise that puts on mass? Or will one be enough?

And thanks for the advice. It felt weird that those little plates would be enough to stimulate the muscle. I would used to push four 45 plates on each side of the good leg press.

Dude I don't care what it's called. Squat. And four plates... my mum could do that and she's 72 and walks real slow - ok maybe not but 4 plates is not that much really. That's 160-kilos if they're 20kg plates.

@stevesmi
Are box and front squats better than regular back squats? Should I just start with box squats since it seems like it's for beginners who want to learn good form?
@SteveMobsterG
I thought you were asking for the name of the machine.
@RickRockl3
I'll incorporate lunges into my routine for the my second quad exercise.

Top Bottom