Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gaining or maintaining strength while training for 1.5mile run? Ideas from everyone

S

solidj55

Just wondering if this is POSSIBLE, I know its not a good idea but its something I must do. I am going to most likely be taking a physical endurance test for a job, Im hopefully going to be getting a job as a police officer. The test will include a 1.5 mile run that has to be done in 15min or less. I went out and ran today since Im not lifting this week to see if I could do that and I got it but it wasnt pretty. So needless to say I am going to have to at least half ass train for it. So what do you think I could do to gain or at least preserve my strength? The thing is I dont know when Ill have to take the physical test so Im not sure how long I have to train for it, most likely it will be a while, I will probably find out a week or two before hand, if I have 10 days to prepare Ill be ok but I need to get started here pretty soon just in case. What does everyone think? Eating a shit load is not a good idea either because I have to watch my height/weight/bodyfat ratio as well.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Oh yea I wont even ask about the police academy lol, that will be 16 weeks of running and maybe only one day per week to lift.

i had to do something very similar for the navy... had to run 1.5 mi in under 13:30 and i ended up coming in at 12:20 (not that fast, but i'm not a runner)... i did a lot of walking at first and then progressed to running on the treadmill at progressively faster speeds... i started off walking for 5 min, running for 2, etc... for 20 min... i also went outdoors to run and would go for as long as i could w/o worrying too much about time or distance...

i prepared for about a month before i ran the 1.5 mi and though i was beat at the end of the 1.5 mi, i completed it w/o having to walk or cry...

just get out there and run and you'll be able to do it eventually -- it's fucking hard at first, don't get discouraged... walking with running is a good way to start...

i can now run about 2.5 mi in 20 minutes and am not even breathing hard at the end of it...

1.5 miles or 15 minutes of running isnt nearly enough to hinder strength gains. high endurance training could be a bit more detrimental to your lifting goals but a run in the park is not something to worry about. it felt hard but give it a couple weeks and it will be second nature.

there are plenty of big ass drill intructors in marine corps boot camp, and even more in the fleet who can run 18-20 minute 3 miles.

start off slow. do a mile as quick as you can, then a mile and a quarter, then a full mile and a half, then back down and start over again. occasionally maybe run 1.75-2 miles. you'll see how quickly your wind gets up.

Thanks for the ideas guys, one question, how often should I run?
Im not sure how much time I will have to prepare, Ive not even gotten the job yet but the thing is, if they call me in for an interview I will be running shortly after the day of the interview. So should I just start running every day? I will only be lifting 2-3 days per week.

try every third day for maybe 2 weeks since this weill give you ample time to recover. You probably will be very tight, so stretch often and get the Bengay out for the first few workouts. 1.5 miles is not hard if you build up to it. when you can get to 1.5 miles easily try EOD and start to time yourself. it really shouldn't take longer than 3 weeks to be able to do it ifd you are in decent shape....

Thanks Lord Sust, I am in decent shape I just have never been a great distance runner, I am short and built for speed/strength. I have always been told that I have more fast twitch muscle fibers but I dont know how true that is. But I have always been good at sprints, explosive weightlifting, and powerlifting. I am thinking of doing something like this

Week 1

Monday- .5 mile run
Wednesday- 1mile run
Friday- 3/4 mile run

Week 2

Monday- 3/4 mile run
Wednesday- 1 and 1/4 mile run
Friday- 1 mile run

Week 3

Monday-1 mile run
Wednesday- 1.5 mile run
Friday-1 and 1/4 mile run

Week 4-Testing time

Monday-1.5 mile run
Wednesday- 1.5 mile run
Friday-1.5 mile run

I may also hit a 2+ mile run after I work up to where I need to be on the 1.5 mile run.

I really think you should try for 2 miles, because if you can jog 2 miles at a good pace then a mile and a half will be easy for you and then you can work on speed. I know when I train for time always go over in distance to get your total cardio time up so you won't be out of breath. Adding speed takes more endurance but a lot of strength as well. just my suggestion. you split looks good I suggest on week threee try to get to two miles then, I know when I trained for distance the first mile was the hardest after I was able to get over that hurdle then gaining more miles was easy in comparison. Good Luck

Thanks again man, Why dont you help me out with a routine lol, I also need to work some sprinting along with my distance because I think I will have to run a 150 yard obstical course as well, it has shit like sprint 25 yards, jump 3 feet, sprint 25 yards, climp up a wall, sprint 10 yards, climp steps sprint 25 yards, climb through a window, sprint 10 yards, drag 150lb dummy, sprint to finish, then fire a gun. Any ideas on how to set up a distance/sprinting schedule, Ill run 3-5 days per week if needed. Ill only be lifting 2-3 day per week anyway.

routine

will you be tested on sprint on the same day???
and if you are is it before or after you run the 1.5 miles???
because my answers will differ.

On the basic routine I would use is kinda tought but good results in 2 weeks.
First session jog 300m, rest for 1 min sprint for 50m rest 1min then sprint 50m rest for 1.5min sprint another 50m rest 2min and run one more 50m. 1 min break then jog 150m lightly almost like a fast walk

Second session do the same thing but try to get all time for 1min, at the end of your workout run up stadium steps, I asume you are running on a track with bleachers... rest one minte but while you are resting walk down the steps repeat one more time and your done.

Third session all rest period are 45 seconds but while you rest you need to walk

Fourth session all rest periods are 30 sec with walking in between

5th session all rest periods are 30 sec with you jogging during these rest periods.

this should get you ready easily, do this after you jog so you can stretch when you are done and not be tired for the 2 mile+ run you will prepare for. I know it sounds hard but if you do each session twice a week or three times it will be easy.

Top Bottom