Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Frustrated with arms!. Please help!

Slyder190

My arms don't seem to wanna improve witht he rest of my body. i'm 5'8, 195lbs, sporting only 16-1/2' arms. here is my current program -1x a week

Bi's-
Barbell curls 2 sets of4-6 reps
Hammer curls- 2 sets of 4-6 reps

Tri's-
Close grip bench- 2 sets of 4-6 reps
Skull crushers- 2 sets of 4-6 reps

My Bi's are the weakest. I'm eating plenty and improving on other lifts. I get comments on how I've gotten bigger. But it kills me that my arms are so pathetic. I work them on their own day. i was thinking of maybe doing one set 3x a week of a triple drop set to shake things up a bit. Just an idea someone threw at me. I HATE MY ARMS!!!

I would change a few things. Hammer curls hit more of that muscle that run under the bis(cant remember the name), than the bis themselves. I dropped them years ago and have made much better gains since. i would suggest an extra exercise for each, with a little more volume, say 3 exercises 2 sets each
bis
barbell curls
incline dumbell curls
preachers

tri
close grip
weighted dips
skull crushers

I get better growth when combining a compund lift with a site specifice lift.

On the compunds, go with higher weight, lower reps, more sets... something like 5 sets of 5. On the site specific lifts, go with lower sets and more reps, like 2 or 3 sets of 10 or 12

I noticed phenomenal growth on bicep peaks and long (lower) tricep with the following:

Triceps
Flat bench 5 sets 5 alternating between close grip and normal grip. Always keep your elbows at your side.
Tricep pull downs 2 sets 12
Tricep extentions 2 sets 12

Biceps
narrow grip chins 5 sets 5 (Weighted)
Incline BD curls 3 sets 10 or 12. Keep your pinky finger higher than your thumbs, elbows in, and weights away from your body.

thanks

Thanks fellas. I use only 4 sets because i've found a lower volume works better for me through trial and error. more volume may work for a little while, but I always must cut back sooner pr later. 5x5 yielded phenominal gains and strength and helped put on size, but eventually I had to cut back on the volume over-all. I will go back to just the sets of 5x5 sooner or later. BBF, I think I may give your advice a shot. Something's gotta change.

Agreed with BBF, work them 3 times a week. Why not give HST a try? If your arms are lagging, then I don't think continuing to hit them only once a week is going to make them catch up.

Debaser said:
Agreed with BBF, work them 3 times a week. Why not give HST a try? If your arms are lagging, then I don't think continuing to hit them only once a week is going to make them catch up.

ive heard if u dont work them, they GROW like crazy... must be a myth :confused:

It depends what you mean by that. Many people (including me) believe they can grow well without isolation movements. In other words supinated chinups and pressing movements. I haven't isolated my triceps in quite awhile and they're still growing at a fast pace. Biceps as well, though I do occasionally do barbell curls in my routine.

Id go with a much higher volume. Atleast 12 sets for bi's and 12 sets for tri's, with full intensity, to failure or very close. Has always worked real well for me. JMO Hope that helps

Top Bottom