Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Front Squat VS. Back Squat

JKurz1

Banned
I got LEGS today, and was thinking about hitting up some front squats instead of back.........what do you guys think? You do them? Think they are comparable (test. producing) as back squats? Routines? Mucho K!

They target the quads better. I throw them in every once in a while (about every three leg workouts), but I'm not sure of their benefit over the hack squat, which seems to provide similar targeting and loat.

I find I'm spending more concentration holding onto the bar than doing the squat. I often mix in what I call a hack squat but which I've seen others call a deadlift with the bar behind.
You could look up Zercher squats.

Back squats allow you to apply a greater load to the body as you can handle more. Front squats are a great exercise. If you've never trained them consistently for a period of time it's worth a shot. It's probably the second most used squat (counting olympic/power back squats together as the first and ignoring the bullshit partials that are no doubt the most popular by a wide margin and generally performed by stick-legged people who enjoy hearing plates rattle).

Madcow2 said:
Back squats allow you to apply a greater load to the body as you can handle more. Front squats are a great exercise. If you've never trained them consistently for a period of time it's worth a shot. It's probably the second most used squat (counting olympic/power back squats together as the first and ignoring the bullshit partials that are no doubt the most popular by a wide margin and generally performed by stick-legged people who enjoy hearing plates rattle).

:chomp:

they are going to feel very awkward if youve never done them before..if you want to demolish your legs try some pause squats..i dont really buy into the whole idea that fronts hit your quads more..i think they are great core exercise

wnt2bBeast said:
i dont really buy into the whole idea that fronts hit your quads more..i think they are great core exercise
It's not an idea; I can feel them hitting the quads more and the hams less (though not by a lot). A lot of experienced lifters will echo this experience, but it is by no means a statement that they are purely a front-quad exercise.

ohashi said:
It's not an idea; I can feel them hitting the quads more and the hams less (though not by a lot). A lot of experienced lifters will echo this experience, but it is by no means a statement that they are purely a front-quad exercise.

ive done them and i do them as well..its my experience i dont feel much difference in my quads..remember stance comes into play here as well...

wnt2bBeast said:
:chomp:

they are going to feel very awkward if youve never done them before..if you want to demolish your legs try some pause squats..i dont really buy into the whole idea that fronts hit your quads more..i think they are great core exercise

I'd have to agree with this. I think people tend to think that they hit the quads significantly more because they "feel it" more when they do them. I think this is probably true when you first start doing them, as they definitely take some adjusting to. But if you start doing them with consistency, you'll likely end up doing them in almost the exact same motion as you would in a standard back squat.

I think they're definitely a great change up. I throw them in once in a while.

I'd be curious to find out if, as the bar is in a more forward position, if shearing forces on the knees are increased, or there's a significant difference there at all.

Top Bottom